When Ally Blake needed to find herself a big, dark, bestubbled, deep-voiced hunk a man to inspire a hero for her latest RIVA, THE WEDDING DATE, she found him in the guise of Gerard Butler. And she never looked back ;).
I always "cast" my books. I use a handful of images - people, places, quotes - things that put me straight into the mood of a story in a glance.
As such have a file in my computer, a huuuuuge file in which I have thousands (I honestly don't want to count beacuse it'll proably shock me!) of pictures for future hero inspiration. A have a heroine file too, but it's smaller ;).
So when I first began to write THE WEDDING DATE I knew my hero was gruff. He was big, difficult, gorgeous, a mountain of a man. A one-time mountaineer, in fact, who has given the adventure away to make reality TV shows about adventure. A man who loves the travel, and detail, the particularities of what he does for a living but would rather chew off his own arm than be famous for it.Enter Gerard Butler. Most specifically this picture. He's gorgeous, clearly, but he looks like he might bite if you dared come at him with an autograph book! That's my BRADLEY KNIGHT in a nutshell. And no wonder my heroine HANNAH had such trouble getting through to him. The man's a hard head. As colossal, tough, unyeilding, indomitable and enigmatic as the mountains he once conquered.
As for the man himself in real life. I did a little research, just for you ;).
- Gerard's Scottish, of Irish descent and spent his first year in Canada. A man of the world and he was only one year old!
- Most if not all romantic heroes have a "ghost" in their past that makes it hard for them to fall in love. Gerard is no different. At the tender afge of 22, his father passed away from cancer, and the young law student's life spiralled out of control. His subséquent partying meant that a week before he qualified for the law, he was fired. And from that he moved to London to become an actor. The way the world turns...
- At Uni he was in a band called Speed.
- He was beautiful, heart-breaking, wonderful and delightful in Reign of Fire. Okay, so that's my little addition. If I notice any other man in a Christian Bale movie, that's saying something!
- As far as romantic hero spots, he did very nicely in PS I Love You opposite Hilary Swank.
- He's 6'2", early 40s, with a cheeky smile and beautiful green eyes. Need you ask more?
- Oh, and lastly, you're gonna have to fight Robyn Grady for him ;).
|ebook and paperback|
Ally's latest novel THE WEDDING DATE is one of the RIVA relaunch novels. Available exclusively from millsandboon.co.uk in paperback and ebook, from 1st October other e-outlets will follow.
|RIVA on Facebook|