Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Learning Curve of the New Author: My Almost One-Year Anniversary

In another two weeks it will be my one year anniversary for being a published author.

To be honest, I'm still in kind of a daze about all that.  It still seems so unreal.  It's been 18 months since I got The Call and my first book was published in September last year.

I still remember the thrill of seeing my cover posted on Amazon and opening that first box of author copies.  I ran around like a mad woman, with my beautifully ordered bookmarks.  Then Sue Mackay and I had a laugh over which of us "owned" the hero on the front of that book because he didn't seem to resemble either of the heroes we had described.

Product DetailsI still hadn't calmed down by the time my second book came out in December.  I ordered more bookmarks and started to pray for red writing on a book cover to match my name.  This time my book was released in a single title and the cute toddler on the book was definitely mine! (Even though he's six in the book)

Product DetailsBook three came out in May 2012 and has my favourite title ever.  West Wing to Maternity Wing.  The cover was purple and very pretty.  My kindle cover was even prettier with the White House pictured in the background.
Product Details
Product Details
And finally this September sees the release of my fourth book A Bond Between Strangers as a duet with another medical author Anne Fraser. It seems almost unreal to be opening another box of author copies and wondering where the time has gone.

I've also sold another two books to Mills and Boon Medicals.  Her Christmas Eve Diamond comes out in November and An Inescapable Temptation comes out in February.  Right now I'm working on a 2-in-1 book of my own scheduled for August 2013.  I've just completed the first book in the duo and am waiting for revisions.

In between all this I've attended a Mills and Boon Author Lunch in London (and will be going to another next month), attended an RNA Summer Party in London, been for lunch and drinks with my editor and been to another RNA Conference in Penrith.  I've also been interviewed at Mills and Boon headquarters - the interview is currently on YouTube - and have recorded Love Bites for my next two releases.

This year has been an absolute blast.  I honestly didn't believe I would get published - I dreamed it would happen and was VERY determined - but it was always just a dream.  

So a big thank you to all the other Mills and Boon authors I know who are the most supportive bunch of people I've ever met, a huge shout out to all my blogging friends, my two critique partners Nancy and Rach, my editor and everyone who has ever read one of my books.

This is the trip of a lifetime.

And to anyone still trying to get published - keep going.  If I can do it - so can you xx.


13 comments:

  1. Hi Scarlet ~ I just wanted to tell you I enjoyed West Wing to Maternity Wing. Are any of your upcoming books going to be published in NA? I really really hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on that first year! I can't believe how productive you are *shakes head in awe*. All the best for lots of years to come. I am coming to the AMBA lunch (feel like new girl in school and must not act like starstruck moron) see you there! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks kaelee! Next US release is Her Christmas Eve Diamond, should be out in December. Thanks for reading my books, hope you enjoy the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlotte I wa stars truck last year so don't worry, come and find me and I'll lead you astray!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Scarlet - and a very happy first anniversary. The time has gone so quickly! And what a roller coaster of a ride for you with so many "firsts" to celebrate. That feeling never goes away.
    Many, many congratulations. You are a terrific example of what a writer can achieve if they have the determination and make the sacrifices to achieve their dreams of creating compelling stories readers love.
    Have a great day. Nina * Fangirl* Harrington

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nina - you are being far too kind and if anyone is a "fangirl" it's me! Hoping to see you soon in September!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! A whole year Scarlet, and look how many books you have written! Go You! You deserve it all. Love your books to - but that goes without saying! Caroline x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks caroline! I haven't forgotten about your delicious roman's and am waiting patiently to see them somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the first year and here's to many more thrilling and successful years!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Scarlet I'll be looking forward to December and Her Christmas Eve Diamond. Maybe if the mail doesn't get too bogged down I'll have a really appropriate book to read on Christmas Eve.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the congrats Rach! I've just received my revisions so it's back to work!

    ReplyDelete