Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Tales of an Unpublished Writer: The Bizarro World of Writing

And a tally . . .

I’ve always been different and it’s taken me almost four decades to realize that it’s not a bad thing. In the words from one of my favorite shows: Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

When we write, a portion of ourselves is left in the story. So, it follows logic that my own stories should be different. They are and always will be even if I believe they don't always reflect the true me or how people see me. 

I’ve started to call my stories part of my “Bizzaro” world.

If you’ve watched Seinfeld, you know what I’m talking about. In an episode titled The Bizzaro Jerry, Elaine came across three people who were the exact opposite of Jerry, George and Kramer. 

Over the years that I’ve been writing, I’ve discovered my own personal way of creating a story. Over the next few months during my posts, I am going to post how I break down a story.

I’ll call it “Abbi’s Bizarro Guide to Writing." Up first in September will be how to come up with a title before you even write your story. Counterintuitive for some writers. Just plain normal for me. 

What I’m also going to do is keep a tally – a tally of where I’m at with submissions. If the number doesn’t keep increasing, then I expect someone who reads this, to give me some words. Tease me. Stick your tongue out at me. Whatever suits you.

Abbi’s Tally, August 2012

3 subs (2 partials, 1 synop), 2 different publishers.  Currently working on requested full and requested R&R.

If you choose, you can share your numbers with me as well.

Or just join me in the Bizarro world.

Abbi :-) 

Abbi Wilder is in the writing/editing/getting kids ready for school cave over the next few weeks but she might be found on Twitter (@abbi_wilder) or blogging . . . somewhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment