Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Kate's Kitchen: Yorkshire Pudding

As I’ve just come back from a week in Yorkshire, I think this is the recipe I really, really have to share this month :o)

In England, Yorkshire Pudding is a traditional accompaniment to roast beef (and the first recorded recipe was in 1737). Apparently the Royal Society of Chemists say Yorkshire puds have to be four inches tall (hmm – mine don’t get that deep) – but they also say that Southerners can’t make them. Well, my mum was born in Southampton, and she made great Yorkshire puds. The recipe I use is the one she taught me well over 30 years ago, and which I’ve passed down to my daughter.

In our house, it goes with any roast meat, including chops and Christmas dinner, because my family really, really like Yorkshire puds.



When I was growing up, my dad used to save one or two from his main course, and have them cold with golden syrup. (I’d love to know if anyone else has weird traditions like this!)

 Most of the time I make them in a 12-hole bun tin (aka ‘popovers’), but when we went to Derbyshire my daughter was introduced to the delights of the large Yorkshire pud which is used as a kind of plate (obviously there’s a proper plate underneath it!) and the sausages and veg are put inside it. The recipe below would make one of those (made in a Victoria sandwich tin) and six little ones.

Ingredients

  • ¼ pint of milk mixed with ¼ pint of water 
  • 1 egg 
  • 2-3 heaped tablespoons of plain flour 
Method:

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C, and preheat a 12-hole bun tin with a little olive oil in the bottom of each hole so the fat is sizzling hot.

Beat the egg and flour into the liquid until the batter has the texture of cream (needs to be a little thicker than pancake batter).

Take the bun tin out of the oven (make sure the fat is really, really hot) and fill each bun hole with the batter.

Bake for 20-25 minutes on the top shelf (and don’t open the oven door or they’ll go flat!).

Kate’s 50th M&B, The Hidden Heart of Rico Rossi, is available now in the UK and in Australia/New Zealand in September. At the moment there isn’t a US release date, but you can get it postage-free worldwide through The Book Depository, and it’s on Amazon.com as a kindle book. Kate is running competitions to win signed copies throughout August and September, and has some awesome guests and giveaways on her blog party every single day – names who will be very familiar to PHS fans! You can find out more about Kate’s books, and Kate, on her website (http://www.katehardy.com/) and her blog (http://katehardy.blogspot.com/)

2 comments:

  1. They look delicious -you've just solved my what-shall we-have-for-dinner problem today. Yorkshire pudding with pork and leek sausages, and lashings of onion gravy. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, yes. Yorkshire puds and good sausages!!! I am now drooling. May need to change my shopping menu for this week now...

    ReplyDelete