Saturday, August 04, 2012

Behind the book - Kate Hardy's 50th!

I'm thrilled to be here at the PHS to celebrate the release of my 50th M&B, The Hidden Heart of Rico Rossi, with a 'behind the book' slot about the setting.

I was lucky enough to visit Rome with my husband and children last year, and I loved the city so much that I knew I wanted to set a book there. And, because we tend to explore on foot, I can honestly say that I've walked every inch of the Rome sections of the book (with the exception of Rico's hotel and roof garden, which are all my imagination!).

Like Ella, I'd always wanted to see the Coliseum, so that was the first place we visited (and somehow I managed to direct us past it every single day, too - loved, loved, loved the building, and I will confess that I bought a Coliseum-shaped bead for my Pandora bracelet from a little jeweller's in Rome).

The Trevi Fountain was also on my list, and lived up to expectations. The colour of the water was incredible.

The Pantheon was also a real thrill  its incredible that such a huge dome was built nearly 2,000 years ago. Its a real engineering feat.

And we ended up having a flop afternoon (aka chilling out) in the Borghese gardens, which were very pretty. 

(I still get teased about trying to steer the Riscio with the steering wheel that wasn't connected, i.e. on the right - because, being a Brit, I'm used to driving on the left and my car's steering wheel being on the right. My husband has Rico's role here in doing the driving!)

And finally, the Mouth of Truth - we did indeed go to see it in the porch of the church of Santa Maria in Cosmedin, and put our hands through the Mouth to be tested...

To celebrate the release of my 50th book, Im giving away a copy :o) 

To be in the draw with a chance to win, just tell me about a place youd love to visit, or a place that you visited and it really blew you away.


  1. Hi. Guess I get to be first. Would love a copy of the book, and have to tell you about Bologna, which is my favorite Italian city. Was there a while ago, so things may have changed some, but it is lovely, walkable, and not too crowded with tourist. History is everywhere and the food is fabulous. Even has a gorgeous park to "flop" in during the afternoon.

    Congrats on your 50th book!

  2. I've never been overseas so I do all my travel vicariously through books like yours. Am hoping to go to Fiji for our 30th Wedding anniversary later this year for my first OS experience.

  3. I always dreamed of going to Paris. I imagine myself sitting at a nice cafe, drinking a strong coffee and having a baguette to go with it. Sun shining and perhaps even some French music...

  4. I really enjoyed your book, Kate and I loved it when Ricco played the tour guide and they went to various places. It brought rome (one of my favourite cities) back.

  5. I enjoyed touring the underground tunnels in downtown Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada. One tour shows where they used to house "the bootleggers" with a "Chicago connection", including secret closets and more tunnels. Another underground tour showed where Chinese immigrants did laundry and slept two per single cot when not working. Incredible tours....

  6. Congratulations on your 50th, Kate. Exploring a city on foot is the best way to get to know it, I think.

  7. Sorry - I am SO remiss! (And thank you, Laney, for reminding me...)

    Nancy, you're the winner - please email me with your snailmail address and I'll get it sorted :) kate (dot) hardy (at) btinternet (dot) com