Saturday, July 07, 2012

Writer's Workspace: Annie Burrows

Harlequin Historical Author Annie Burrows gives a sneak peak into where she creates her books



Not long since, I moved into a new house.  I quickly purloined a small bedroom, filled it with bookshelves, and proclaimed it my "study", (doesn't that sound grand).

In one corner, I put one of those ergonomic chairs supposed to support your back while typing.


Trouble is, I type on a laptop.  On my lap.  I only use the footstool for storing my laptop when I'm not typing.



The chair is next to a shelf, on which I keep things I might need during the writing process handy: pens, paper clips, toffees, chewing gum, calculator (to work out if my word count is on target!) and a kitchen timer.  After one too many trips to the chiropractor, it makes sure I get up every hour, and stretch.  (For stretch, read make a cup of tea/load dishwasher/maybe even hoover something if writing is getting too hard)

You will also see lots of translations of my books.  These give me the confidence to keep going when things get tough.  After all, people in all these countries enjoyed my stories (or at least, they bought the book)


On a table on my other side I keep the reference books I'm using for my current w.i.p.  The books most frequently on this table are a dictionary (in case I use a word the computer queries, and I then wonder if it really means what I think it means) and a handy set of etymology of words and phrases.  I can't have regency heroines using language that didn't come into common use until the 1940's can I?


Finally, the view out of my window, over the river Mersey to the rolling countryside of Cheshire.  Fortunately, I'm too short-sighted for it to be much of a distraction.  (Though I'm not going to show you a picture of the binoculars on the shelf to the side of the window-sill, along with my book of British birds...)


Annie has a July release with Harlequin Mills & Boon, "An Escapade and an Engagement".  She will be giving away a copy to one of the people who leave a comment about today's post.


 To learn more about Annie Burrows and thrilling Regency romances visit  www.annie-burrows.co.uk or www.facebook.com/AnnieBurrowsUK

14 comments:

  1. Your study seems like a nice place to read. I always dreamed of a study filled with overflowng bookcases. Now I have a large bookcase in my bedroom that's about to burst :) I put a blue char next to it but always read while sitting on the bed as it's more comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reading in bed too, Jo...and try to keep the study for "work" only!

      Delete
    2. And Jo..as the first to post a comment, I've picked you to receive a copy of my latest book, "An Escapade and an Engagement".
      Please contact me via my website:
      www.annie-burrows.co.uk
      using the contact form, letting me have your postal address, and I'll send it off to you!

      Delete
  2. Ohhh your chait looks comfy Annie! I love the cover of your new book too. Caroline x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Caroline - I love the cover to my new book too...it really captures how I see both Lady Jayne and Major Cathcart

      Delete
  3. I love the cover your new book, Annie.
    And your chair looks fab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Michelle - this is just about my favourite cover ever!

      Delete
  4. Annie, that cover is so enticing!

    I like the feel of your writing zone - it seems cosy as well as quiet - something I appreciate as I write. I find it interesting that you always use a laptop. I used one most of the time on the last book and found my back so much easier as a result - but perhaps that has something to do with my typing chair. With the laptop I moved through the house when there was no one else home, choosing the site that seemed most comfortable and cosy. like you I try to get up reasonably often - I've discovered it's necessary too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Annie W - I like to be able to completely relax, and zone out of "real life" while writing so it's as if I go back to the Regency era, and live what my characters are getting up to. Sitting at a desk, in an "office" pose reminds me too much of when I was an office temp!

      Delete
  5. That looks like a seriously comfy chair. I have a laptop too, and sit with it on my lap. I do some pilates stretches at the end of the day, when I'm bent over like a question mark. And I love the cover of your book too, it's really sexy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do my stretches at the start of the day! I seem to seize up during the night, somehow. So I limber up before I start "work" - or as I like to describe it "writing down the adventures of my imaginary friends"

      Delete
  6. Courtney Milan (isit?) writes standing up AND while walking on a treadmill! As someone who can't rub her tummy and pat her head at the same time, I hate to think what kind of confusion I would cause if I tried that!

    pageturner345@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What!? How on earth does she do that? I think I could probably manage talking into a recording device of some kind while on my exercise bike...but can't imagine where to balance a keyboard!

      Delete
  7. I've picked Jo...to receive a copy of "An Escapade and an Engagement".
    Please get in touch through my contact form on my website:
    www.annie-burrows.co.uk
    and I'll get it in the post to you

    ReplyDelete