Saturday, July 21, 2012

Writers Workplace Lynne Marshall

Pink Heart Society is delighted to welcome Lynne Marshall for this Saturday's Writers Workplace.  Lynne writes for not one, but two harlequin lines - Special Edition and Medicals.  Take it away Lynne!



When I was given the Saturday Writer’s Workplace slot for my PHS blog, I got all excited.  Why?  Because no one outside of my family and a couple of close friends ever sees my office—the place I spend most of my daytime.  Non-writers have a hard time relating to the meaning of “writer’s work space” so I just keep the office to myself.


Well, consider me thrilled to give you the tour of MY SPACE. J





 
First off, here is a picture of my books.  I admit I’ve always wanted to take a picture of them, but never had a good excuse before, so…here you go!


 

To date, I’ve written eleven Medical Romances and am over halfway through my twelfth.  I’ve also written two books for Harlequin Special Edition and a couple more for another small press.



Glancing up from my books is a personal favorite of my pictures titled – The Student, and it is a replica from The Illustrated London News, January 18, 1873.


 

When I glance out my window, I see my lovely white hibiscus bush to the left and to the right, a fountain formed by a woman pouring water from a vessel into a large basin.  The sound of that water is always comforting.  Behind the lady are the ceramic sun and moon faces against the wall. They make me smile.  


Hummingbirds are frequent visitors to both the tiny pink flowers over the lady of the fountain’s shoulder, and both the white and red hibiscus bushes. Sometimes, the hummers hover right outside my window as if they’re trying to decide if the hanging stained glass object is a huge flower or not.  I like to pretend they’re looking at me, and I always smile at them.


 
Pinterest schminterist I haven’t started and I don’t intend to sign on for Pinterst because I still like to do things the old fashioned way.  Here’s my version of Pinterest LOL. (Usually, I stick things to a board, but I was extra lazy this time.)


 


A girl can only work so much without having some toys for those whimsical moments. 



It may be hard to see, but my beanie baby frog has a small jeweled tiara on her head.  The pretty red shoe was a gift from my good friend and fellow author, Robena Grant (a current Golden Heart finalist), and inside is a small crystal four leaf clover given to me by a friend from work when I left to write full time.  Perhaps that beautiful pewter picture frame caught your attention.  It was a gift from the Atlantic Chapter of RWA located near Halifax, Nova Scotia, as a thank you for speaking at their meeting in October 2010.  The outside of the frame is covered in sea shells and came from the famous Amos Pewter store, inside is the Legend of the Starfish.  If you’ve never read it, I highly recommend looking it up.

Well, that’s about it.  What do you think now that you’ve seen my office?  Do you keep toys in your office too?  Or do you have a favorite spot to gaze upon for those moments when you need to think things through?


Lynne Marshall writes for Harlequin Mills & Boon for Medical Romance and Special Edition.


29 comments:

  1. Hey Lynne! I'm so impressed with that huge line-up of your books! That in itself must feel motivating, seeing all that you have accomplished.
    My office is a mess - layers of papers on my desk. I need to make it pretty like yours...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzanne - Believe me I cleaned up the office before I took the pictures! LOL.

      I have to confess that the long line of books is due to one copy of every foreign book that I've been lucky enough to get my hands on, too. That makes the line up seem longer than it really is! :)

      Delete
  2. Lynne, I LOVE your writing space. Right now I have a little fold front desk in my bedroom that houses my laptop. But I'm getting ready to send my middle daughter off to college and I have to admit, I've been eyeing her room. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Tina re: eyeing your college-bound daughter's room. My office used to be our guest room, but now with our empty nest, we have two guest rooms, PLUS the office.

      I feel very fortunate to have so much space to write my stories in. One day when you have your own office, do you think you'll have toys to play with too?

      Delete
  3. Lovely! Very neat and organized.
    I have a bunch of rocks on my desk and bookshelves. : ) Some have words like luck, imagine, faith, engraved on them. Others are just rocks. AND I am so jealous of that shoe. Ha ha. I went to buy myself one and never could find them again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I had so many typos, I decided to start all over again.


      Robena - I LOVE that shoe! The crystal four-leaf clover fits into it perfectly, and I consider the show to be part of my many blessings as a writer. Don't know if you noticed the brown picture frame next to the treasure chest with Princess Frog on top or not, but that is a framed picture or our original Fabulous Fictionists critique group taken at your house in the valley several years ago. Great times. great memories.

      Oh, I have rocks with words on them, too - Create, breathe, confidence, strength. My favorite post-it on the printer says: Believe you're worthy! I think Jenny Crusie said that last year at RWA National conference. :)

      Delete
    3. I give up on the typos and admit to typing after coming home from dinner out and a glass of wine! Shame on me. :/

      Delete
  4. Hi Lynne! I loved seeing your workspace. Now, I can imagine you hard at work behind your computer! Lovely space, btw! Those soft colors around you are very appealing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlene - My husband teased me when I told him I wanted peach colored walls. He calls it my sherbet room. I love working/writing in my space. :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Lynne! Thanks for sharing pictures! I love seeing where authors work. My workspace isn't half as cool as yours - must work on that. :) Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin - I don't think the work place is nearly as important as the content that comes out. LOL. Believe me, you're doing fine in the writing department.

      Delete
  6. What a gorgeous writing space, Lynne. And I love that stained glass, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate! Thanks! It is kind of fun to take a peek at other writer's work spaces, isn't it?

      Delete
  7. In my writing space I have an Indian dreamcatcher, three (!) fairy dolls, a medallion of Shiva as Lord of the Dance, a copy of the Egyptian cat representing the goddess Bast from the British Museum, and a bust of Felix Mendelssohn because I'm writing about him. Ya gotta have toys! Congratulations Lynne on your lovely writing space, and your accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your office toys, Sharon! I think dreamcatchers are beautiful, and a girl can never have enough fairy dolls! IMO. :)

      Delete
  8. Love this space and it reflects you so well. Thank you for sharing it with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Maria. I never thought about my office reflecting me, but it sure is the place I spend most of my hours during the day. I do love the feel of it, I must admit.

      Delete
  9. Seems like a very excellent workspace! I enjoyed all the detail behind the various pictures and objects very much - thanks for sharing! I currently have a variety of Ancient Egyptian themed figures and statues (read "toys") on my desk, including Bunnykins King Tut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Veronica - Bunnykins King Tut sounds fabulous! I love it.

      Delete
  10. Lynne, thanks for sharing your workspace. I love seeing where other people write. I was thrilled to hear about the hummingbirds coming to visit too. How lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie - I love our hummingbirds. They fascinate me, and I feel blessed to get to see them on a daily basis. :)

      Delete
  11. I like your version of pinterest. Dermot Mulroney used to grace my office walls before I moved to this place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Atia - I simply cannot take on one more social media venture! LOL.

      Ah Dermot - I am currently involved in a Medical Romance continuity that will be out beginning 2013 and Dermot is my hero. I love this older (he's 39 in the book) tormented hero who is swept off his feet by the peaople pleaser - Polly! I am on the last chapter right now and I will miss these two characters very much.

      Delete
  12. Wow, Lynne love your workspace (especially the frog in the tiara!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heidi! I love the mini tiara *(Frog-size) too!

      Thanks so much for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  13. I love your office! How many times have you taught me new stuff there? Too many to count. LOL. Sorry I'm late. You know I love you to pieces, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dee J - remember how I promised I'd remember how to do that thing for our Wordpress blogs? Yeah, well, I forgot how to do it already. Gack!
      I'm glad you love me anyway. :)

      Delete
  14. A window can truly do wonders for any office space since it can refresh your mind and even give you inspiration. It is nice to see that you have really personalised your workplace.

    ReplyDelete