Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Tales of an Unpublished Writer: Importance of Networking

I’m an introvert. I’m not good in crowds and don’t ever ask me to lead a conversation. (Although sometimes I will volunteer to challenge myself.) That’s why I like to write. No interaction required except with characters I create.

But, I have to admit, there’s one thing I don’t let my extrovert tendencies keep me away from – writing conferences.

In just a few days, I’ll be heading to RWA Nationals in Anaheim and in October I’ll be going to the NJ RWA conference. Why? Here’s a few good reasons to shed some introvert ways and start attending:

1) Networking – Not only have I met some great authors, I’ve connected with some wonderful friends as well. I’ve learned from the people who’ve sat next to me during meals, listening to speeches and honoring peers during the RITA/GH awards. 

2) Learning the Ropes – Once you’re published, you will need to attend conferences (not every year, but you will still need to attend). The best way to learn is to learn as an observer or an outsider.

3) Books, books and more books – We have to read, right? At most conferences there are free books or you can purchase a copy of a book from your favorite author during a signing event. 

4) Just overall fun and inspiration -- Conferences have entertainment as well. Harlequin has a pajama party at RWA Nationals, WRW hosts a rousing Romance Jeopardy. Plus, the overall environment of each conference is just down right inspiring. 

Is there another reason to network/attend conferences? 

Abbi :-)

Abbi is now Abbi Wilder. She can be found roaming online at or on Twitter: @abbi_wilder. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Abbi,

    Good luck at your first conference. I hope you have a ball. When I went to my first conference the networking was only secondary to me. My main purpose was to soak up as much craft (and market) information as I could and believe me I got that in spades. It was wonderful. I found the networking followed easily - just for fun - and has grown into something wonderful and supportive. I hope you find the same.