Friday, June 29, 2012

Setting the Scene with Shirley Jump:The McKenna Brothers Trilogy


The Pink Heart Society is happy to welcome back Harlequin Romance author Shirley Jump, who will set the scene for her new trilogy The McKenna Brothers.

Boston. It’s a magical city, especially on warm summer nights when the breeze dances in from the ocean and teases you with the salty tang of the Atlantic. The lights flicker like fireflys and the traffic passes with the soft whoosh-whoosh of the tires against the pavement.

            I grew up just south of Boston and always loved the city. It was the very first place I went when I got my license (don’t tell my parents, who had forbidden me from leaving the borders of my town until I had more experience). It’s where I went to college, where I met my husband, and where I return, once a year, to see my family and take a step into the past. As you read this, I’m heading for Boston (so if I don’t comment back right away, it’s because I’m driving ;-) and to a reunion with all my friends and family.
So when I decided to write the McKenna Brothers series, there was nowhere else I wanted to set the books but Boston. For each of the three brothers, the city represents something different. One finds it a challenge, another a playground and the third a comfort. Throughout the series, I use the city to reflect the differences in the McKenna brothers, and the way they view the world. There are romantic dates in the city, quiet walks by the water and visits to shops and diners throughout the city.









 I’m best known for my small-town romances, but to me, the city of Boston has its own small town feel. There are pockets of the city that are little microcosms that feel like the small town where I grew up. Neighborhoods where people know your name and the deli owner remembers your favorite sandwich. That’s the kind of warmth I wanted to capture in my fictional worlds set in Beantown. I hope my readers fall in love with the city, and with the McKenna men. I know I sure did!

            Tell me, what’s your favorite city? Or are you more of a rural person? When you visit a city, what do you most enjoy doing? Is there a place that holds a special place in your heart?
Shirley

To find out more about Shirley and her books, check out her website http://www.shirleyjump.com

3 comments:

  1. I'm heading to Venice in 2 days so going to vote for that as my favourite. Your books sound great and you've definitely been blessed by the book covers gods!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Boston when we visited for the Marathon back in 1999. It does have that small town feel.
    Favourite cities include Rome, Venice and San Franscisco

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Scarlet, Venice sounds awesome! I haven't been to the other side of the world...yet :-) but DH and I really want to see Europe and Asia.

    I love San Francisco, Michelle, too. We've been there a couple times and it's just so gorgeous and so unique!

    ReplyDelete