Friday, June 22, 2012

On Write Support: Crunch Time

PHS Columnist Donna Alward takes a few minutes to breathe and consider the month that is proving far more difficult than she anticipated....

I'll be honest - I thought June was going to be a breeze. I had a deadline but I was in good shape for it. The school year is winding down, so there's less running to do - sort of. Instead June is kicking my butt, and it's simply a case of a funnel effect - several things coming together in a small amount of time.

I've mentioned before that one of the problems with having several books releasing is that the work doesn't end when the writing is done.  It's a GOOD problem to have - yay for releases! - but it's also havoc on the old time management. This month, in addition to working on the deadline book (one week to go!) I've done two rounds of edits on my November Samhain release, wrote the synopsis and filled out forms for the first two First Responders books to come out together in print. It's a release month, so there has been some promo going on - I try to do most of it up in advance but sometimes you just can't or at the very least you have to pop in and interact with visitors to your various events. :-) I had a booksigning (yay!) and also gave a workshop at the beginning of the month.

I also talked to my agent about that big project I was angsting about a few months back when I talked about stretching my writing muscles and doing something different. The good news is she did like it and I have some revisions to tackle that truthfully I'm rather excited about.

But there is a sense of the ticking clock here, because honestly I've worked very, very hard this year and I need some time off. On June 30 everyone is officially home for the summer - even the husband, who is already working shorter hours. Trying to write with everyone underfoot is hard. Not just because I like peace and quiet but because I really do want to be doing what they're doing - relaxing and having fun in the sun. So the plan all along has been to take a good portion of the summer off and spend it with them - and refill my well. I can tell you right now that it DOES need refilling in a big way. It's so close I can darn near TASTE IT.

And while I'm relieved that the kids' schedule has settled down, it's made for another problem: when everyone has more time on their hands they are already shifting into summer mode while I'm staring down the barrel of a gun wondering how I'm going to get it all done.

All I can say is that I'm really going to earn that time off. And when I finally get it, I'm going to enjoy every last second of it.

What are your plans for the summer? Is this when you write the most, or do you take time off, like me?



Donna's latest release is THE REBEL RANCHER, book 2 in her Cadence Creek Cowboys duet. You can find out more about her current and upcoming releases on her website at www.donnaalward.com.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Donna! I always plan on taking some time off but I am somehow always busy in the summer - there are releases to promote, edits, deadlines, and for some reason my creative itch always starts in the summer. Maybe it's the longer nights. But I want to be with the kids, too, so time management is uber important. Plus, I am lucky and grateful to have my two sisters - who are teachers and off in the summer - I wouldn't be able to swing writing and all that comes with it and special time with each of my daughters.

    ReplyDelete