Tuesday, May 08, 2012


USAToday bestselling author and mom to four, Mira Lyn Kelly, talks about her first conference…

It was a surreal experience to be sitting in the front seat of my dad’s car last month as he drove me from his house in the Chicago burbs toward Rosemont.

“You’re going to do fine, Mira. Don’t be nervous. Just be yourself and…”

I’m pretty sure, I had a similar conversation with him some thirty-five years ago. Of course, back then, he’d have been dropping me at my first day of kindergarten instead of my first ever conference. And rather than stuffing a couple bucks in my hand to tip the bell boy at the hotel, he’d given me a shiny coin for milk money. But strangely, the feeling was much the same. Particularly when we pulled up at the front entrance…and I decided it might be a better idea if he just took me home instead!

Okay, but I wasn’t five anymore. And as nervous as I might have been, I was more excited. I’d been aching to get to this conference for years, and after much agonizing over whether it made sense or would be worthwhile for me to attend, I’d finally decided to jump in. And I was there! So I hugged my dad goodbye and then headed inside in search of familiar names within a sea of unfamiliar faces.

Everyone was moving too fast, the names on their badges were too small, and I thought I’d never locate anyone I knew. Only within the first few minutes, it was clear that not knowing anyone right off wasn’t much of a problem at all. Readers and authors alike—talk about a friendly, welcoming, enthusiastic bunch! An hour or so later, miraculously, I stumbled upon the lovely Kimberly Lang—who had become my unofficial RT12 mentor (That's us--<). And soon I was chatting over coffees with Andrea Lawrence, Janette Kenny, Lynn Raye Harris, Caitlin Crews, and Maisey Yates. Catching up with Cat Schield. Breakfasting with Michele Hauf. And laughing like crazy with Megan Mulry, Aimee Carson and Jennifer Probst. Amazing women, all of them. And so incredibly inspiring as well!

Photo from RT Book Reviews - click to be connected to full article
I attended reader events as a fan (JR Ward and Charlaine Harris where fabulous) and participated in the Passion and Power of Series Romance event. I’m not going to lie, my knees shook like crazy when I had to stand up and introduce myself, but it was so worth it when I got to sit down and connect with all the fantastic readers who’d attended. I passed out free books, collected an awesome stack of my own, and learned more in a few days than I have in the last few years! I worked out next authors whose books are prominently displayed on my fan girl shelves, chatted with agents about chocolatinis, caught up with publishers over salad, made friends I hope never to lose, and got to hug my critique partner and friend of almost eight years for the first time. Worth it?? Definitely!

DINNER DONE QUICK: Maisey Yates“I use the crock pot a lot. A couple pounds of chicken, a jar of salsa, a little chicken broth and some taco seasoning. Served in tortillas or over rice and it's really good. And easy!”


PS - Have any helpful tips to share? Drop them into the comments… Here are a couple more I picked up this month...

Please join me the second Tuesday of each month to share tips, advice, and experiences as we take a Write-At-Home-Mom’s journey toward a better balance.

Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000747420386


  1. Hi, Mira,

    I've been using a crock pot for years and, Maisey's right, it's extremely helpful. I make chili, BBQ ribs, London broil w/ a crock pot.

    I wish I had other recommendations. Can't think of them at the moment.

    Love the picture!

    Abbi :-)

  2. Thank you for the link and all the wonderful pictures. The S before Ex sounds like a winner.

    I am going to be watching for an RT event nearer to me. Kansas City is a bit to far next year.

  3. I'm so glad I was able to talk you into this!! ~hee hee~

  4. Abbie, I use the crock pot as often as I can figure out how to convert the recipe!

    Kaelee, thanks so much--The S BEFORE EX was so much fun to write. As to KC, I'm going to do my best to get there too!

    Kim, lol, I owe you big!! ((Hugs))