Saturday, March 31, 2012

Writer's Workspace: Cindy Kirk

This week the PHS visits Special Edition Author Cindy Kirk and gets a sneak peek into her office.

Hi, I’m Cindy Kirk and I’m very happy to be here.  One of the reasons is that taking pictures of my work area forced me to do some “Spring” cleaning. 

Just to be clear, my work area isn’t always messy, but it can get that way fast when I’m approaching a deadline.  This might be a good chance to show you how I keep track of my deadlines.

A little history first.  I started writing in 1996 and sold my first book in 1999.  For those first few years, my “office” was a corner in the bedroom. The computer was on a lower shelf (not a desk) and on the shelf above it was a dot matrix printer.  When the paper came out of the printer, it would either A) fall on the floor, B) fall on my head or C) I would catch each sheet.  Ahhhh, the good old days.

Shortly around the time that I sold, we did some home remodeling and what should have been a spare bedroom became my office. I’ve included several pictures for your viewing pleasure.  The first is my computer.    You’ll notice the laser printer to one side.  It prints SEVENTEEN pages per minute and NONE of those pages fall on my head.  I consider this exceptional progress.

When I moved from the corner to the spare bedroom-turned-office, I decided my book covers would be my office art.  Thankfully I continued to sell (30 sales and counting) or my walls would have been pretty bare.  I also keep a copy of all my books, including all the foreign editions in a bookcase in my office.  If you have eagle eyes and notice all the children’s books…yes, I have a collection of books from my childhood.  They never fail to make me smile when I see them.  So many good memories.

I’ve got a good amount of desk space   when it’s not cluttered with papers and post-it notes that I write to myself to remind me of different points in my current work-in-progress.

 Unfortunately some of my desk space is taken up by my office cat, Oreo.      I wish I could say she’s a big help, but she’s really more of a hindrance.  She sits in front of my monitor, sprawls on my papers and kicks my notes off the desktop.  But I love her anyway.

What I really like about my office space is it feels like home to me.  I can sit down at any of the day or night and do what I love to do best…write.  It doesn’t get any better!

Cindy’s latest release from Harlequin Special Edition is The Doctor’s Not-So-Little Secret and it’s on sale now!  You can learn more about Cindy and her latest books on


  1. Love that your book covers are your wall art, but how do you do that? Do you scan and print them yourself?

  2. Scarlet,

    Good question! I actually email the jpeg to Fedex Kinkos and tell them what paper and what size I want it to be...and then they email me back when it's ready to pick up. The resolution is so much better when I send it directly to them and they go off the jpeg.

    For an 11 x 17 print, it's only a couple of dollars.

    Then I take it to Michaels (a craft store) and they do the border (which are all different colors) and I have them use the same frame with the same dimensions.

    Wall art for offices are a tax deductible expense, so it's a win-win.