Saturday, February 18, 2012

Writer’s Workspace: Missy Tippens

The Pink Heart Society is thrilled to welcome Love Inspired author Missy Tippens...or maybe she is welcoming us all into her Writer's Workspace...

Thanks so much for having me today. And my family thanks you, too, since I had to do some major cleaning to dare take a photo of my workspace! :)

When we first moved to this house, I set up an office in the basement. But it was cold, and I hated being so isolated. I love working right in the middle of everything and have never had trouble concentrating. In fact, when my daughter was little she loved to squeeze in the chair behind me while I worked. I can also write with the TV on (although I’m finding as I get…ahem…older, I’ve tend to turn it off). I can write while the kids have friends over. While hubby watches sports. Nothing bothers me.

So after a couple of years in the basement, I finally invested in a laptop and moved upstairs. I worked on the couch for the next several years. I loved working there! I could prop my feet on the coffee table, so I never had any back or neck trouble. I worked with my laptop in my lap and loved it. However, my family grew tired of the accumulation of reference books and files that piled up at the end of the sectional.

 When my college son came home for winter break, he said all he wanted for Christmas was for the couch to be clear (well, that and an iPhone). ;) He suggested I set up an office in the dining room and offered to move everything. It took me about three seconds to take him up on the offer.

It wasn’t a quick process, though. I was in the middle of revising a proposal, trying to work around the holiday activities. So we spent a day clearing the dining room table (a catch-all) and moving everything from the couch and family room. I managed to work through January with everything piled around me on the dining room table. Thankfully, the looming deadline to show a photo of my new office (potential embarrassment is a great motivator!), led me to Target to buy some items to help organize. Here are a couple of shots of the finished product. I still have work to do. But I’m pleased to have my own space!

What about you? Do you have a true office? Or do you make do with some other creative space?








Missy Tippens’ newest release from Harlequin Love Inspired is out now! Find out more about A House Full of Hope (4-1/2 Stars from Romantic Times) at http://www.missytippens.com.

13 comments:

  1. My 'office'is wherever my computer will lug in and work! That's it! Loved reading about where you wrok Missy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Marla. Since I wrote this post, I've found myself unplugging my computer a time or two each day and moving to the couch for a change of pace. I love being flexible by working on a laptop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i often work on the living room couch as well...but sometimes take my laptop to the deck in warm weather. i'm not a writer, but do write reviews and blogs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice, Missy! I always enjoy seeing where authors write and your area looks very attractive and comfortable. I also like that nice window---I don't think I could ever write in a "closed-up" room without any windows! :)
    Blessings, Patti Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so wish I had a dining room to covert into a work station. It looks beautiful and very inspiring. A great place to write.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so wish I had a dining room to covert into a work station. It looks beautiful and very inspiring. A great place to write.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so wish I had a dining room to covert into a work station. It looks beautiful and very inspiring. A great place to write.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so wish I had a dining room to covert into a work station. It looks beautiful and very inspiring. A great place to write.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marianne, I love working outside! It's just hard to see the screen. I wonder if they make any kind of "shade" that helps with glare?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Patti Jo, thanks! I love having the window here to look out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Katy, I tried to take my son's room about a year after he headed off to college. I thought waiting a year was plenty. :) But when he came home that summer he quietly moved everything off his desk! LOL He told me I couldn't boot him out yet. :) Of course, he's graduating in May, so who knows where I may move next! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to have a dedicated office--when we lived in a house with 3 bedroom and den. I now have my office in the guest room--but we seldom have guest so it works okay. And when I get tired, I can take a nap. In our larger house, we ived next to a lake. I could look out my window and see rabbits and water. Now I look out on a parking lot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jane, I'm afraid napping might tempt me a little too much when I'm working on an extremely difficult scene! :)

    ReplyDelete