Saturday, February 04, 2012

Writer's Workspace: Barbara White Daille

PHS is delighted to have a sneak peek into where Harlequin American Romance author Barbara White Daille creates her books


Hi.  I'm happy to be here today to share a little bit about my writing space.
Growing up in a family of six, I sometimes found the only way to get time alone for reading or homework was to go into my bedroom and close the door.  While that helped me develop good study habits, it sure didn't do much to strengthen my powers of concentration!
Often, having too many "things" around can distract me. 

When my husband and I moved from an apartment to a new home, I grabbed the extra small bedroom all to myself to make into an office.  Time alone.  Peace and quiet. 

But...

To keep the room looking nice, we bought a computer armoire.  It's a beautiful piece of furniture.  The best thing about it is, when you're done working for the day, you can close the doors on top and fold in the desk and file cabinet on the bottom, and you're back to your nice piece of furniture.



The other great advantage to the armoire is that the upper doors hide a dozen shelves that you can fill with books and manuals and knickknacks.


The key word in that previous paragraph is "hide."  I wouldn't dare show you the contents of all my shelves at one time.  Or maybe ever.  LOL  But I will share the shelf I like best.  See if you can tell why it's my favorite.  (smile)

Usually, I can deal with all the "stuff" around me, but when my mind is very full—when I'm in the middle of a manuscript, for example—it doesn't take a lot for me to long for quiet, peaceful surroundings again.
When things get to that point, I move here:


And when that still seems busy—too close to the Internet, you know (smile)—I go here:

All of the above places work for me, just at different times.  I'm sure the locations you've chosen work for you, too.



No matter what kinds of projects you're involved in—writing, scrapbooking, organizing the weekly menu, and everything else—what do you crave around you?  A lot of "stuff" to excite your creativity or to serve as visual memory aids?  Or a space filled with peace and quiet?


All my best,

Barbara


To read more about the books Barbara White Daille creates visit Barbara's website http://barbarawhitedaille.com/  Be sure to look out for her recent release. The Rodeo Man's Daughter.

17 comments:

  1. The trouble with working in a bedroom is that it makes you sleepy. Then what happens to the writing? Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, all!

    Thanks to The Pink Heart Society gang for the chance to share a bit about my writing space with you--and to talk writing.

    I'll look forward to chatting with you during the weekend.

    Meanwhile, off to respond to the first early-bird comment!

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning, Maria! You are so right about sleepiness when working in a bedroom office. We'd originally thought about putting a couch in here, but I decided against it. Way too tempting! ;)

    Now all I have is a regular office/typing chair--the kind that swivels. If I fell asleep in that, I'd fall on the floor. LOL

    Thanks for stopping by!

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an office. I never use it. Can't explain why. I write most of my stuff in my lazy-boy recliner

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely writer's space! I use my office, darn, looking around it, it's a mess. But I use my couch, bed, etc. to write. Notebook in hand, I take it all down in shorthand before I get back in here. Which is where I'm off to now. Good morning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your computer armoire. It looks lovely. We're moving into a new smaller place. I should check into something like that.

    I mostly use my office (a former 3rd bedroom). My husband has his computer desk in the bigger bedroom. But it's our guest bedroom, and he shares space with a bed and bedroom furniture. So I definitely have the better deal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cynthia - I have a friend who does the exact same thing. I think it's more comfortable for her.

    Maybe for you, too.

    If I had one, I might try it.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Donnell - wish I could write my books first, too, but every year my handwriting gets worse!

    And I just came off a major deadline, so we won't talk about what my office looks like. LOL

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  9. Edie - it does sound like you got the good deal!

    A word to the wise about the armoire. The bottom sections are on rollers but don't move very well--or at all--if the armoire's on carpet, especially a padded one.

    I learned that the hard way. :(

    Overall, I think it might be best on an uncarpeted floor. Unless you don't mind leaving the bottom part open all the time, which I do.

    Good luck with your move!

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know about the armoire. I'd leave it open all the time anyway.

      Delete
  10. Very neat and clean...

    I don't dare share my writing space. I've lost my car keys on it twice in the past week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Edie - I'm glad to know enough to warn people who might have a problem.

    But I'm with you--it's worked out fine to leave the bottom half of the armoire open.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pepper - okay, okay, I'll confess! ;)

    I've been on a major deadline and getting ready to launch this blog tour for my new book release next week.

    You should've seen the office BEFORE I cleaned it up for the photo shoot! LOL

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have an office upstairs in my house. I write in my den, downstairs. I prefer sitting my glider type rocking chair with matching ottoman. I live alone, so why work upstairs in a small room?

    Your office looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  14. For me it has to be my big L-shaped desk with shelves that my husband bought me for my birthday one year. My reference books are handy if I need them. I used to have my "office" hidden away in a back bedroom, or lower bedroom when I lived on a house boat, but now I have it in the living room/kitchen/dining room. This great room is the center of our house and since it's just the two of us, the distractions are minimal (just the beach :-) It's nice to be able to chat with a real person one in awhile ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, Alexis - your workroom and view sounds fabulous, and I'm drooling over the desk with shelves. That's one thing the armoire lacks--a lot of desk space.

    Then again, with any horizontal surface, I tend to spread out a lot and then things find permanent homes there--at least till I do a massive cleaning. LOL I guess NO amount of desk space would be enough for me.

    Thanks for stopping in!

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, Mary - as I'd said earlier, those photos were taken AFTER the big cleaning. LOL

    Nice to have the entire house to write in. But that glider and ottoman does sound comfy. I'd gravitate toward it, too.

    Thanks for stopping in.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete