Thursday, January 12, 2012

Setting the Scene with Christine Johnson

Welcome and thank you for joining me today at The Pink Heart Society!  This is my first appearance here, and I’m thrilled to meet fellow lovers of category romance. 

Ever made the wrong turn in the road? 

I’m not speaking figuratively here.  Rather, have you ever ended up somewhere you didn’t intend to go?  I, for one, have made quite a few wrong turns and have traveled many miles out of the way before realizing my mistake.  If I hadn’t been so focused on the end destination, I might have discovered something truly amazing on that wrong path, but more often than not, I just turned around and went back the way I’d come. 

In my new release, All Roads Lead Home, the heroine travels by automobile from New York City to Montana in 1922 and takes a wrong turn that leads to an unexpected encounter.  Like me, she’s intent on reaching her destination.  Unlike me, she stops long enough to look around, talk to the people she meets, and learn something about where she mistakenly ended up.  That decision ultimately changes many lives.

I should learn from her!

In my travels, no place has touched me more than the “big sky” of Montana.  The vastness of the prairie and the enormity of the Rocky Mountains remind me how small I am, something that’s easily forgotten when immersed in everyday life.  The magnificence of God’s creation never fails to awe me.  I wanted to share my love for the area in this book. 

I have a copy of All Roads Lead Home to give away today.  Just leave a comment and tell me if you’ve ever made a wrong turn and where you ended up.  The coffee is on.  Let’s chat.


Christine Johnson
All Roads Lead Home
Love Inspired Historical
January 2012

11 comments:

  1. My hubby and I are constantly taking wrong turns, overshooting our turns, but most frequently we stop exactly one mile before we're supposed to turn. Before we both had maps and GPS on our phones, we had this bizarre habit of pulling off or turning around almost 1 mile (to the foot) before we should have. After doing this so many times we learned to go the extra mile. We've seen some really interesting (and sometimes scary) scenery thanks to our adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice, how funny that you'd stop a mile short. That gives real meaning to the adage "go the extra mile!" Thank you for sharing and brightening my morning.

      Delete
  2. Hi Christine! Please don't enter me in the contest, because I already have a copy of your latest book ALL ROADS LEAD HOME, and I love love love it!!! But to answer your question, seems like I've taken the wrong turn many times in my life. I always thought I knew which direction I was headed, but then there'd be a bump in the road, and voila! Another detour. Know what? Turns out I DIDN'T know where I was going ... but God certainly did. And the journey (so far), while not exactly the way I planned, has been magnificent, the scenery beautiful, and I wouldn't change a thing.

    Congrats with the new book!

    -Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen, I know exactly what you mean. For years I was sure I didn't want to write inspirational romance, but God had another plan in mind. He was definitely right. This is truly my place. I was just too bullheaded to see it on my own. Kudos to you for stepping forth in faith!

      Delete
  3. If I'm going a long city walk, (and not in a hurry!) I tend to set off in the right direction and go up a street, along, up, along. This keeps me heading the right way, but means I never quite know what I might find. I love looking up at bulidings to see little details, like scultures, people miss if they're looking at the ground.

    pageturner345@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fun thing to do (and very observant)! The older buildings have lots of intricate details that we miss when driving by, intent on our business.

      Delete
  4. I live in a city, country and continent where I wasn't born and brought up. I'm from Dublin, Ireland and after marriage I shifted out to Lucknow in India. In my effort to get to know my way around my adopted city, I've taken many a wrong turn, but these are the very experiences which have helped to make my confidence grow and improved my knowledge of Lucknow. The feeling you get when you know your city better is very empowering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so very true! When I moved to a new city, I would choose a quiet or slower time and go around the city to learn the streets. Your approach is even better since you also get an adventure with those wrong turns.

      Delete
  5. Oh yes, have done that!! We moved to another city 4 yrs. ago (after living in same area for many years...all my life). We were always getting lost, but purchased a GPS and wow, we love it!!
    I have only read one of Christine's books...loved it and am anxious to read more....this one sounds great so would love to win it.
    jackie.smith[at]dishmail[dot]net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried a GPS, but some friends used one in an area I was familiar with and it took them on a very roundabout route. Got them to the right place, but they definitely had a scenic trip! Has your GPS ever taken you on a different path than you would have chosen? That's kind of a high-tech wrong turn!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations to pageturner345. You've won a copy of All Roads Lead Home, chosen by random from all comments on this post. I'll contact you via email to get the mailing info.

    Thank you all for joining me today, and many thanks to The Pink Heart Society for hosting me. May your wrong turns lead to great adventures.

    ReplyDelete