Monday, January 16, 2012

Male on Monday: Benedict Cumberbatch

PHS Editor Michelle Styles discovers a new obession Benedict Cumberbatch

Okay by rights, Benedict Cumberbatch shouldn't be sexy. He is more of a  younger brother type or possibly a boy next door who is a mad scientist. His looks are regular. He is tall but not commanding.  I didn't understand why certain authors thought him wonderfully sexy. These authors I should mention are drawn to awkward but cerebral men.. I did understand that he is a fantastic actor and capable of playing really interesting and intriguing characters really well.  However then I saw him in Sherlock or more specifically in the first episode of second series and I could understand the fuss. Against the odds, he is unbelievably sexy.
There is just something about him and his bold blue eyes. And his voice. Or maybe it is just the coat.
Benedict Cumberbatch is the son of 2 actors. His father acts under the name of Timothy Charlton and his mother is Wanda Ventham. Orginally Benedict was going to use his father's acting last name but was convinced by someone in the business that Benedict Cumberbatch stood out more. he has joked that the last name sounds like a fart in the bath.  However it sounds, he has acting talent oozing out of his pores.
Born in the very hot summer of 1976, Clumberbatch went to Harrow and eventually to LAMDA. He was won a number of awards as well appearing in films such as War Horse, Amazing Grace and Atonement and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. Besides Sherlock, he has been in SpooksSmall Island and the bio docudrama about Stephen Hawking where he first really came to the public's attention. He also acts in the theatre. Dr Frankenstien with Jonny Lee Miller was a recent triumph. GQ named him their actor of 2011. He will be in the Hobbit as Smaug. He will also appear in the television drama Parade's End.
He ended a 12 year relationship in 2010 and keeps his private life private.
If you are looking for someone who can make science sexy, look no further.

Michelle Styles writes warm, witty and intimate historical romance for Harlequin Historical. You can read more about her books on


  1. I really do hesitate to say this, but that name sounds like a joke. It does to me anyway. It's like the kind of name Dickens would have dreamed up for one of his characters - preferably a market gardener type of fellow, a supporting character preferably.

    I'll say this much, he is distinctive looking. And I do find this type preferable to the chocolate box beauty type, for what it's worth.

  2. I agree with Maria, the name sounds like something from Dickens. The only other time I've heard it was a character from the Mike Leigh film Secrets and Lies.

    I am a bit of an inverted snob, so when I saw him interviewed I was put off by his accent, I have to admit. But he's grown on me. He's got the kind of face that will probably get more interesting with age too. And a name that's not easy to forget.

  3. Nice pick Michelle.. I watched the last episode of Sherlock last night and was rivetted. Can't say I lust after Mr Cumberbatch that much, but he's definitely got a certain je ne sais quoi!

  4. I would like to convey my admiration for your kindness in support of men

    and women who have the need for help with this one topic.
    Your real commitment to getting the message along came to be particularly

    practical and has consistently empowered women just like me to get

    to their ambitions. Your new valuable tips and hints can mean this much a person like me and much
    more to my mates. Warm regards; from each one of us.
    Also visit my weblog -

  5. I cling on to listening to the newscast

    talk about getting boundless online grant applications
    so I have been looking around for

    the best site to get one. Could you advise me please,
    where could i find

    Also visit my web page ; please click the next page

  6. Terrific work! This is the type of information that should be
    shared around the web. Shame on the search engines for not positioning this post higher!
    Come on over and visit my site . Thanks =)
    My web blog

  7. Hiya very nice blog!! Guy ..

    Excellent .. Superb .. I'll bookmark your web site and take the feeds

    additionally…I'm glad to seek out numerous

    helpful information here in the post, we'd

    like develop extra strategies in this regard, thank you for

    sharing. . . . . .
    Also visit my site ... campagne

  8. Wonderful paintings! That is the kind of information that are meant

    to be shared across the net. Disgrace on Google for now not positioning this put up higher!
    Come on

    over and discuss with my website . Thanks

    Here is my web site - impulsed

  9. I don’t even understand how I stopped up right here,

    however I thought this post was good. I

    don't understand who you might be but

    certainly you're going to a well-known blogger if you happen to are
    not already ;) Cheers!
    My site ; Lora

  10. You completed some nice points there. I did a search on the

    issue and found nearly all

    folks will have the same opinion with your blog.
    Feel free to visit my webpage ...

  11. Normally I don't read article on blogs, but I would like to say that this

    write-up very forced me to try and do so! Your writing style has been surprised me. Thanks, very nice

    Here is my blog post classified ads online Cullera

  12. Wow, superb blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?

    you make blogging look easy. The overall look of
    your site is

    magnificent, let alone the content!
    Also visit my homepage ::

  13. Hey there, You have done a great job. I will definitely digg it and in my opinion recommend

    to my friends. I am confident they'll be benefited from this web site.
    Also visit my blog post ...

  14. You made some decent points there. I looked on the web for the problem and located
    most people will

    go along with together with your website.
    My website - impolicy

  15. Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all people you really realize
    what you are speaking about! Bookmarked. Kindly

    additionally consult with my website =). We

    can have a link exchange

    arrangement between us!
    Have a look at my blog : arenas

  16. Wonderful beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your

    web site, how could i subscribe for a blog site? The account helped me a

    acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright

    My blog :: Handmade Solar heating

  17. Excellent site. Lots of useful

    information here. I am sending it to some buddies ans additionally

    sharing in delicious. And obviously, thanks to your

    Look at my page ;