Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Deadline Recipe: Four Layer Pie

Harlequin Intrigue Author Jana DeLeon shares one of her favourite pies -- 4 Layer Pie.
Being from Louisiana, holiday celebrations with my family always provide an array of delicious food. But the one common denominator is always the 4-layer pie. By the time we’re done consuming the meal, we’re all usually stuffed, but if someone breaks out the pie, everyone has a piece for fear of it all being gone later.



I think the pie is the perfect dessert for me as it’s representative of how I write – adding layer by layer of delicious goodness, letting it sit for a bit, then polishing it off, and serving it up.



4-Layer Pie


1 stick melted butter

1 cup flour

¾ - 1 cup chopped pecans

 8 oz. Philadelphia cream cheese

1 cup powdered sugar

1 cup Cool Whip

2 pkg. instant chocolate pudding mix*



* Two small boxes or if more pudding is desired, 1 large and 1 small box



Mix together the butter, flour and chopped nuts.

Press into bottom of a 9x9 pan.

Bake at 375 for 15 minutes, then allow to cool.

Mix together cream cheese, powdered sugar and Cool Whip, then spread the misture over the cooled crust.

Prepare the pudding mix according to the package directions.

Spread the pudding over the white layer

Chill the pie until cold.

Top the pie with cool whip.

Sprinkle with pecans or chocolate (if desired)

Refrigerate overnight then cut into squares.



Jana’s next book, The Lost Girls of Johnson’s Bayou, takes readers deep into the murky swamps and dark secrets in the bayous of Louisiana.

 Visit her website to find out more about Jana and her books. www.janadeleon.com




3 comments:

  1. I heard the food of Louisiana is legendary. Must try this recipe....

    I like Harlequin romantic suspense. Will check out your website....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie - I love that pie. I don't make it at home because it's only my husband and I and we don't need to eat a whole pie. LOL The food in Louisiana is fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have people in South Carolina. If I ever get a chance to visit them, I will be sure to visit Louisiana and check out the food. Apart from reading and writing, I adore good food.

    ReplyDelete