Thursday, December 22, 2011

What Are You Reading...Michelle Styles?

PHS editor and Harlequin Historical author Michelle Styles reveals what she has been reading this Christmas.

Every Christmas I re-read A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.  This is the book which basically invented (helped to popularise) Christmas as we now know it. Cromwell had basically killed Christmas but with Dickens' help Christmas came roaring back. There are reasons why we often think of Christmas with Victorian scenes.
I also always re-read Clement Moore's Twas The Night Before Christmas A Visit From St Nicholas. I love the whole visions of sugar plums dancing in their heads and the moon on the breast of the new fallen snow.
Every year I bring up the Christmas books we have collected so that the children (and me) can re-read various Christmas favourites. Otherwise long ago these books would have been thrown out. But by doing it this way, it means that the children are able to revisit the picture books from their childhood. it adds to the excitement of unpacking the Christmas ornaments.  The Wild Christmas Reindeer is a constant favourite. I love the Jan Brett's illustrations. The story of Tikka and how she learns to work with the reindeer rather than against them always charms me.
This Christmas I have also been reading Robyn Carr's Bring Me Home for Christmas. I had read her earlier  A Virgin River Christmas in July and thought it wonderfully Christmasy. She does Christmas very well.  And this one does not disappoint.
And as soon as I get my mansucript done, I have a variety of Christmas books  to read including the Governess offering from Annie Burrows and Marguerite Kaye.


Michelle Styles writes warm, witty and intimate historical romance. Her next book His Unsuitable Countess will be published in August 2012 in both the US and the UK. To read more about Michelle's books visit her website www.michellestyles.co.uk



2 comments:

  1. This year I visited my 2 year old niece in Canada in November, and gave her her a copy of Nicholas Allen's 'Father Christmas Needs a Wee' (because I saw it in the Waterstone's window and the title made me laugh - talk about buying a book based on its cover!) It was an instant hit and her older sister had memorised it and was chanting it by the end of that first day.

    Like you, my sister stores the Christmas books so they're a treat to rediscover at the start of the season each year & I'm sure there will be sequels of delight when FCNAW is unpacked next December.

    Merry Christmas!

    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked Bring Me Home For Christmas. I also read A Chesapeake Shores Christmas and An O'Brien Family Christmas by Sherryl Woods to get in the holiday spirit.

    Every Christmas Eve we read Twas the Night Before Christmas - you're never too old. :-)

    ReplyDelete