Thursday, December 08, 2011

Finding The Calm Within The Chaos- Mira Lyn Kelly

RIVA/Presents Extra author Mira Lyn Kelly takes a minute out from the madness to talk about what puts her in the holiday spirit...

Yep, it's that time of year already. I don't know how, in forty years, I haven't gotten used to the way the holiday season flies up so fast. It seems like I just got the kids situated with being back in school, the house barely under control, and then --bam!!--the season of chaos is upon us again.
Now don't get me wrong. I love switching out the fall decorations for all the Christmas ones, the cards, the cookies, the kids' growing excitement. But along with holiday magic...there's a bit insanity in the air this time of year too. That countdown to the big day... countdowns to the little days (holiday parties, cookie exchanges, shopping and shipping deadlines)...and I'm a girl who feels the pressure, lol.
So it was an utter joy to take a moment out last night and complete a task I always dread, but then leaves me smiling in the end. Christmas Cards.

I plugged in the earbuds, got the tunes going and then, flipping my address book open to the letter A, got started on the list that gets just a little longer each year.

The magic of the Christmas card experience is that it forces me to slow down and pay attention to just this one thing I need to get done. It's a bit mindless, writing out all those addresses, but with each one I think a bit about the family behind it. The memories associated with an address I may not have visited since our last move. Maybe there's a name change because of a wedding. Maybe this year I'm writing THE SMITH FAMILY instead of JOHN AND JANE SMITH. Maybe I'm seeing the girl I was the last time I actually laid eyes on this friend I've kept in touch with through all these years. And innevitably, by the time I've licked my last stamp, I've surrendered to the holiday spirit and have nothing but joy and love on my mind.

Wishing all of you, all the best through this holiday season!


No comments:

Post a Comment