Thursday, December 01, 2011

Tawny Weber: Writing a Trilogy

Blaze Author Tawny Weber explains about the joys and pitfalls of writing a trilogy.

It’s easy to say that I lovewriting, because I really do. I love therelaxation of letting my imagination soar, the creativity of reining in thatsame soaring imagination into a workable story and the work of sitting down towrite and craft a story that does justice for readers to the one my imaginationcame up with. So when I had theopportunity to write a trilogy, I jumped at it. I mean, what’s better that one story but three, right? How much harder could that be. I was surprised to discover that it’sactually a lot harder... and even more satisfying.

There is a wider arc, which as areader I love. And being able to write astory that spans multiple books offers so much more room for plotting twists,more intriguing storylines and playing with the suspense a little longer.
There’s also a lot more charactersto keep track of. And as a reader, I’m ahuge fan of getting to know a family—all of the members. Even better is the chance to revisit familymembers as the other characters explore their story. So as a writer, I loved this aspect of thetrilogy. By the time I ended the thirdbook, I’d come to love these characters like old friends... after all, we’djust spent 9 months together.

Another thing about the trilogythat I loved was that the books are coming out back to back, with SEX, LIES ANDMISTLETOE in December, SEX, LIES AND MIDNIGHT in January and SEX, LIES ANDVALENTINES in February. Even better,this means each story features one of my favorite holidays!

So what about you? Are you a fanof trilogies or series stories? What’syour favorite thing about them?

Tawny Weber has beenwriting sassy, sexy stories for Harlequin Blaze since her first book hit theshelves in 2007. When not obsessing overdeadlines, she’s shopping for cute shoes, scrapbooking or hanging out on Facebookand Twitter. Come by and visit her onthe web at

In December of 2011 Tawnylaunched her Undercover Ops series with SEX, LIES AND MISTLETOE. The second book in the series, SEX, LIES& MIDNIGHT is on shelves in January 2012, quickly followed in February bySEX, LIES & VALENTINES. Be sure tofollow Tawny on her
Holiday Survival Tour as she celebrates these threebooks with contests, giveaways and lots of fun. You can read thefirst chapter of SEX, LIES & MISTLETOE on her website, all you have to do is jointhe Reader LoveFest!


  1. Hi Tawny ~ I really love trilogies as I do get to see the stories of friends or family from the first book. I like series for the same reason. I especially like it if the books come out close together. I love the fact that yours are coming out one month after the other. I like to get them all and read them all at once.
    I really hate it when it takes a long time between books.

  2. Hi Kaelee :-)

    I'm like you, I'd always rather read the entire trilogy/series at once than one book every few months... or ack, one a year! Especially when the first one ends on a major hook and I'm frantic to know what happens next. As an author, I understand why it's being done, but as a reader it makes me want to scream LOL.