Saturday, November 12, 2011

Wild Card Weekend : Writing Holiday Stories

Pink Heart Editor Donna Alward pops in on this November weekend to chat about getting in the holiday spirit - for writing special stories.

I love Christmas. You'd sometimes not know it, because there are times that all the rushing around drives me crazy. There is nothing calming and wonderful about feeling pulled in a dozen different directions while the day suddenly feels a few hours shorter than it should be. There's a lot of juggling that happens at Christmas time and sometimes it makes me a little crazy.

But I love Christmas anyway. I love the carols, the sappy movies, the hot cocoa, the cookies (oh yes, the cookies!) and the colours. I love shiny wrapping paper and bows and boughs of greenery and twinkly lights. I love the breath clouds that form in the chilly air, the rosy cheeks and snuggling under a blanket while the fire blazes.

So isn't it fortunate that I'm also writing a holiday story right now as well? There are carols, rosy-cheeked children, a moonlight sleigh ride and of course, cookies! And there's romance. A little sadness, but also some victories along the way.

And most of all there's the discovery of what is truly important - not the fancy wrappings and expensive trappings but simple beauty, generosity, and acceptance.

Sigh. If that doesn't give someone a dose of good cheer, I don't know what will!

Donna's latest release is HOW A COWBOY STOLE HER HEART, out in Australia and New Zealand this month! For more info check out her site at www.donnaalward.com

1 comment:

  1. Donna ~ I'll be giving myself your holiday book next year. I am looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete