Thursday, October 20, 2011

What Are You Reading Thursday :: Magazines

The Pink Heart Society editor Jenna Bayley-Burke thought PHS editor Donna Alward had such a great topic last week, she's using it again! Magazines are one of her favorite things.

Donna's post on magazines last week got me thinking. I read a TON of magazines. In fact, when I give my 'where do you get your ideas' workshop, I bring a bag of magazines. And they are all from my office. I just passed a bag of magazines to my son's 3rd-grade classroom. All from the basket in the living room. 

I may have an addiction. But I'm okay with that. I pay next to nothing for my subscriptions, whether from internet freebies or discount websites or gifts. Plus, you can snag an entire year of back issues at the library.

What do I read? For work it is RWR (Romance Writers Report from RWA), Cosmopolitan (because it gets me in the headspace of my sexy, sassy heroines), Maxim (to put me in the hero frame of mind...though I am thinking of switching to Men's Health. Crappy magazine title, but great stuff.) and Travel + Leisure for locations, locations, locations.

In fact, I don't think I've recycled a Cosmo in two years. You can reference them over and over. Same with Travel. Magazines have more pictures than books, and they are infinitely rippable - so you can use them when making story collages. Every holiday season Amazon does a $5 subscription to Cosmo. Worth every penny.

Magazines I read for my real life...are quite the list. Again, I pay very little for them. Good Housekeeping came free with an $8 year of Redbook. Both have given me some great jumping off points for stories, as well as ideas of what to make for dinner. Cooking Light and Sunset are annual gifts from my mother-in-law. Probably because I kept reminding her for her old issues. Sunset has really great writing and travel pieces, but again, I use it for dinner ideas.

My best foodie mags are Food & Wine, Everyday Food, Rachel Ray, and my personal fave -- Cuisine at Home. It's a gorgeous magazine with no ads. So, you really pay for it. But the recipes! I've kept every issue...and even been tempted to buy the issues I've had to miss because...well, it's spendy!

For the kids I get Parents and Family Fun. Both were online freebies. They've given us wonderful craft ideas, as well as rainy day activities and backyard games. They have a section where people share their embarassing kid story...I've always thought it would be great to turn those into a novel.

But, I won't. I don't write about kids. I have them in my real life. I write about things I dream of doing and places I want to go - fantasies. And what better place to start a fantasy than in the massage chair at the pedicure spa. I can work while I get my toes done.

Anyone want to babysit so I can go to work?

Jenna's juggling soccer practice, taikwondo, Cub Scouts, chess club, ballet, and oh yeah...writing. She's gearing up for NaNoWriMo next month which should bring on another fun adventure. In the meantime, be sure to check out her latest. Private Scandal is ripe with secrets, sass, and sensational sex. Keep up with Jenna's spin on things on her website & blog

No comments:

Post a Comment