Monday, October 10, 2011

MALE ON MONDAY: Calling in the Authorities

USA Today Bestselling Author RaeAnne Thayne has a thing for the authorities...

I’ve got a thing for police officers. Okay, not just police officers, to be fair. FBI agents, spies (burned or otherwise!), DEA agents. I’m not picky.

I would venture to say this is probably not breaking news to anyone who’s read any of my books. I’ve working on my fortieth book and in a fairly unscientific survey (anything more than that would take research, which is too much for a Monday morning!) I would guess at least a third of my backlist titles features a hero in some sort of law enforcement capacity – and a third more would probably feature military guys!

Yes, I wrote a bunch of titles for Intimate Moments/Romantic Suspense, where spies and FBI agents made perfect sense. But I’ve been writing Special Editions for the last five years and I still find myself leaning toward guys who carry guns. I find something so intriguing about men willing to risk their lives to protect perfect strangers. My favorite TV shows all feature compelling, damaged men who do just that – Bones, Hawaii 5-0, Burn Notice. Is it any wonder I enjoy writing the same kind of guys?

I first introduced my latest hero, Trace Bowman, in a 2010 release for Special Edition, A COLD CREEK BABY. The Pine Gulch police chief was supposed to be just a minor secondary character, intended mostly to make the hero of that book (an undercover DEA agent!) jealous and finally realize he couldn’t let the heroine go. As soon as he stepped onto the page, though, I knew I was going to have to give Trace a happy ending of his own.

He finds that in CHRISTMAS IN COLD CREEK, my November release for Special Edition. Trace doesn’t get to shoot at any bad guys in CICC, though he does stand up against a few people who are making trouble for the heroine – something she’s totally not used to, that just steals her heart.

I love the idea of showing rough-edged, dangerous men coming to realize how very much they need a strong woman in their lives. What about you?

USA Today Bestselling Author RaeAnne Thayne’s latest book CHRISTMAS IN COLD CREEK, goes on sale October 18.

Back cover copy:

She claimed to be a waitress and a single mother, but Rebecca Parsons doesn't look like any hash-slinger Pine Gulch Police Chief Trace Bowman has ever seen. And she doesn't seem particularly maternal toward her little girl, either. Still, one look in her vulnerable green eyes and his protective instincts go into overdrive. Attention from local law enforcement is the last thing Becca needs. She'll do anything to protect her little sister Gabi from their con-artist mother, even lie about their identities. When Trace shows up at their house carrying a Christmas tree and stirring desires she can't afford to indulge, she longs to surrender to the magic of the season with him. But Becca's past is catching up—fast. Can her sexy police chief perform a Christmas miracle?


  1. Hi RaeAnne

    This sounds like a great book. I'm reading your Blackberry Summer right now and really enjoying it. The only problem is I have to wait so long for the next two books in the series. I love the small town feeling in the book and can relate to it being lost because of the ski resort. The same thing has happened in lots of towns in the Canadian Rockies as well.

  2. Kaelee, thanks very much! I'm sorry about the wait for the other books. Originally WOODROSE MOUNTAIN was coming out in January and SWEET LAUREL FALLS was a June release but HQN decided for marketing reasons to move them to April/October. WOODROSE has been done since May so I'm sure by the April 2012 release date, I'll be on the edge of my seat waiting for it to come out!

    I'm so happy you're enjoying BLACKBERRY SUMMER :)