Monday, September 19, 2011

MALE ON MONDAY: Kevin Costner

Blaze author, Jillian Burns, joins the Pink Heart Society with a timeless Male on Monday pick...Kevin Costner

Still Sexy and Still Going Strong

While I love me some young hot studs from today’s blockbusters like Gerard Butler or Mark Wahlberg, my favorite movie star’s hairline may be receding a little, and he may be a little gray around the temples, but he’s STILL sexy as hell, Kevin Costner. Mmm, those blue-green eyes can still pierce right through me.

But besides the sexy factor, actor, director, singer, environmental activist, Kevin Costner represents what a TRUE romantic hero is to me, both in real life and in the roles he’s played. He’s been in 2 of the American Film Institute's 100 Most Inspiring Movies of All Time: Dances with Wolves and Field of Dreams. And those, while I love them, aren’t even my personal favorites. Just think of all the other wonderful movies he’s made: Bull Durham, The Untouchables, JFK, and most recently, I loved him in The Company Men. But one of my Top Ten favorite Romance movies of all time is a baseball movie he made called FOR LOVE OF THE GAME. Rent it. It’s NOT about the baseball. And the ending is just as satisfying as any romance novel Happy ending I’ve ever read.

And I’ll never understand why The Postman was not a huge hit. It’s a wonderful action/adventure/ Romance with the perfect Reluctant Hero archetype.

In real life, Kevin Costner is just as devoted and determined a man as he plays in the movies. When he believes in something he gives his whole heart and mind and body and soul to the project. And sometimes, he puts up his own money. He put up $3 million of his own money to make Dances with Wolves. People in Hollywood derided him back then for attempting Dances. It was 3 hours long. Too long. And it was a Western! Nobody wanted to see Westerns anymore. Or so they told Kevin. But he believed in the story and just kept right on doing what he believed in.

More recently, he founded with his brother Dan, the Costner Industries Nevada Corporation (CINC) in Carson City. This company product a Liquid-Liquid Centrifugal Separator using clean-up the oil in the Gulf of Mexico. He’s put up more than 20 million of his own money for this project, and even testified before congress to fight for its use after the BP oil spill of 09. At the time, he was ridiculed for it, but he never wavered in his belief that what he was doing was right. And NOW, BP has purchased 32 of the machines to clean up the Gulf oil disaster. Said BP CEO, “Once we got over the Waterworld jokes, we realized that the centrifuge-like device is actually fairly useful--it sits on a barge, sucks in dirty water, separates the oil, and deposits the clean water back into the ocean.!

What’s not to love about Kevin Costner? He’s the perfect romance hero. He’s sexy, he’s humble, he’s passionate, and he’s steadfast.

Perhaps Kevin himself says it best: "Real heroes are men who fall and fail and are flawed, but win out in the end because they've stayed true to their ideals and beliefs and commitments." -- Interview with David Giammarco, Cigar Aficionado Magazine, Nov/Dec 2000

Jillian Burns lives in Texas with her husband of twenty-three years and their three active kids. She likes to think her emotional nature has found the perfect outlet in writing stories filled with passion and romance. Her newest Harlequin Blaze, NIGHT MANEUVERS, is on shelves now and her next Blaze, ONCE A HERO will be out in March 2012. For more information and excerpts you can visit her website


  1. Hi Jillian,

    I too love Kevin Costner, although I had a hard time getting through Dances with Wolves. Just too long. My husband loved Waterworld. Go figure. I'm by Robert Redford like you are Costner. I'll watch him in pretty much anything. And he's a good man who cares about more than acting.

    Pamela Stoen

  2. Hey Pam,
    I'm SO with you on Redford
    He's also an environmental activist also. AND a hunk.
    Thanks for coming by to comment,

  3. I don't watch many movies but I loved Dances with Wolves and Bull Durham.
    Yes Kevin is sexy and so is Robert Redford. I guess when you are 63 years old like I am I find maturity and grey hair sexy. It's not that I don't like some of the younger movie stars but some of them seem so young to me.

  4. Me too, Kaelee! Some of these guys could be my son's age. And even the younger stars from a few years ago (From teen movies my kids used to watch)are all older now and have adult movie roles, like that kid from the Transformers movies. Time just goes by too fast!