Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Writer's Wednesday with Mindy Klasky

A big Pink Heart welcome to Mindy Klasky, who joins us for Writer's Wednesday to chat about what happens when a story just won't let go...


Once upon a time, I wrote down stories and hoped to become a published author.  I wrote stories like the ones I loved to read – traditional fantasy novels in the style of The Lord of the Rings, with larger than life heroes, and adventure, and action.



Then, I went to college, where my writing time was severely curtailed.  I still managed to make reading time, even beyond the four novels a week I put away as an English major.  In fact, I worked in a bookstore, barely getting a paycheck home, because of all the purchases that I made. 



Every single month, I stocked the shelves, putting out new books, taking away the old ones.  In that store, I discovered category romance – fun, short, readable stories full of emotion, a complete escape from the heavy literature that was central to my academic studies.

And I decided that I wanted to write a category romance.

The decision didn’t stick, at first.  Oh, I wrote a category.  I thought it was brilliant – at least as good as the ones that I’d read.  Alas, the publishers didn’t think so.  They didn’t think the next one was publishable either.  The third one had more hope – they asked me to revise it – but I ultimately moved on to other writing ventures.

In fact, I returned to my traditional fantasy stories.  Eventually, I sold a half dozen of those novels.  And I melded my two literary loves, writing light paranormal romances – fantasy “chicklit”. 

But I still wanted to write a category romance good enough to see publication.  So, I went back into a bookstore, and I bought all the romances in one line for that month.  And another month.  And a third. 

I drafted my romance, coming up with the perfect title – The Mogul’s Maybe Marriage.  I sent it to my editor, and I chewed my fingernails, and I worried, and I hoped.

In the end, my category was rejected.  But that was not the end of the line.  My editor loved the book – just not for the line that I’d written for.  She wanted to see a few tweaks here.  A couple of changes in emphasis there.  Another 10,000 words overall.

And so, I sold my first category romance.  It’s my thirteenth published novel, over all.  It occupies a completely different segment of literary “real estate” from my earlier works.  Some of my readers have been surprised to find my name on one of “those” books.

But I could not possibly be happier!  And I hope that you’ll enjoy reading Mogul as much as I enjoyed writing it – even if the writing took over twenty-five years (in a manner of counting!)

In  The Mogul’s Maybe Marriage, Ethan Hartwell has been given an ultimatum: he must marry by the end of the year, or he will lose control of the company that is his life. But when Ethan searches for the only woman he’s never quite forgotten, he finds a two-for-one — Sloane Davenport is carrying his child! Now, Ethan has to decide whether to tell Sloane his darkest secret, and chance losing her forever…

As a foster kid, Sloane has always dreamed of giving her own child a perfect family. Now, pregnant and — outrageously! — fired from her job, she is struggling to keep her independence. She isn’t about to marry for anything but respect and partnership and love. So what will it take to transform Sloane’s “maybe” into “yes”?

2 comments:

  1. Oh Wow! I just popped in to your website and read the bit of the opening chapter. It grabbed my interest. I love the title as well. I think I'm going to be glad you are writing one of those books. I read mainly romance books put out by Harlequin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ::grin::

    I hope to see a lot more of you, Kaelee!

    ReplyDelete