Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Writer's Wednesday - The Call with Aimee Carson!

A big PHS welcome to Aimee Carson, who joins us with her fantabulous call story today!

Thanks for having me here today! I’ve been an avid reader of Harlequin/Mills and Boon since childhood and, to this day, my nose is stuck in a book every spare moment I get. All of this time spent in romancelandia was going well until six years ago when my husband looked at me and said, “Why don’t you write one?”

~Sigh~ If only he’d known the chaos he was about to unleash.

Unaware of how my life would forever be changed I plugged in my laptop and got started. And promptly got addicted!

Five years, countless how-to books, dozens of online courses, and seven manuscripts later, I entered the Feel the Heat competition at Harlequin Mills and Boon. I didn’t place, but I did receive a revision letter with a request to look at the full. Many a sleepless night later I finally turned in that requested full, started another story, and checked the inbox on my email about a gazillion times a day.

What felt like forever was really only your standard blip in the alternate time reality of a writer’s life. Nothing happens quickly. In fact, time takes on this nebulous quality where you are always waiting on something . . .

Anyway, during my wait another competition was announced, and I figured I had nothing to lose by entering. So I poured everything I had into that chapter, swallowed my fear a second time, and hit the send button. Again, I didn’t final. But I did receive revision suggestions and an invite to send the partial. After a few emails back and forth with the second editor, she pulled my waiting manuscript from what I imagine was a mountainous pile, and we set to work on my original requested full. 

This was it! The dream of becoming a Harlequin Mill and Boon author felt so close!!

Which was fantastic except, after all the years of writing while paying no attention to ergonomics, my hands, wrists, and arms began to rebel. Loudly. And painfully. With the fourth and final round of revisions, it was so bad my husband had to type for me. And trust me when I say, you haven’t LIVED until you try to write with two voices filling you with doubt—your internal editor and the person doing your typing. Every time my husband shot me that look, the one that screamed, “Are you sure you want me to write that?” I almost gave up.  How we managed to muddle through it without me killing him is simply amazing. Which is wonderful because, after that fourth set of revisions, I finally got “The Call.” And if I hadn’t subdued my urge to throttle him, he wouldn’t have been around to help me celebrate!

My debut book, Secret History of a Good Girl, is out in the UK September 17th as part of an anthology Mills and Boon Loves. I’m honored to share my debut with Leah Ashton, winner of last year’s New Voices competition, as well as Maisey Yates and Barbara Wallace. Secret History of a Good Girl is scheduled for its NA release in Harlequin Presents Extra February 2012.

Here’s a sneak peek:

Play with fire…

Miami hotel tycoon Paulo Domingues knows that beneath his events planner’s southern priss, Alyssa Hunt is all sass. Little Miss Prim has Paulo’s inner rebel roaring to life - he’s determined to seduce the fire out from behind it!

 And you might get burnt!

Tough-cookie Alyssa hasn’t fought tooth and nail to shake off her past to be blindsided by one smooth-talking boss. Until, punch-drunk with desire, she succumbs to temptation and realises what she’s been missing out on! But will Miami’s most wanted bachelor run when he discovers the real reason behind her good-girl façade…?

My second book, How to Win the Dating War, will have its Riva release in December 2011, with its NA release sometime thereafter. You can find out more about my books at the following sites:

Webpage        
Facebook         
Twitter           
Amazon          


17 comments:

  1. What a great story Aimee! My husband gives me the same look when I have him read my work.

    Glad to hear your book will be on the shelves in the US. I love the premise. Can't wait to read it.

    Abbi :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aimee!
    I'm a fan! Your debut sounds absolutely wonderful. I cannot wait to read it. It's been a long time coming...

    Many, many congratulations! I know how hard you worked to get it done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Abbi! Fortunately my husband is a GREAT brainstorming partner. He certainly doesn't pull any punches with his critiques, though LOL. He also happens to be my biggest fan and greatest supporter - I wouldn't be telling this story without him!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Wendy, I wouldn't be telling this call story without you either!! Thanks for all the support (past, present and future). I'm a fan of yours too!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for you, Aimee! Can't wait to read it!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really looking forward to reading this Aimee! It is sure to be a stunning debut.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Already pre-ordered your book Aimee, really looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm looking forward to it too, Michelle;) Thanks for stopping by!

    Thanks so much, Scarlet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great call story, and I really can't wait to read both books!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love to hear stories of such perseverance! And cannot wait to read your actual book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rachael - It's one of those stories that's funny to share but painful to live through - you know, kind of like those disastrous vacations LOL. Thanks for stopping by today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great call story - can't wait to read your debut Aimee. Caroline x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations Aimee, so interesting to hear about your long battle to be published. Your words certainly rang true with me, "time takes on this nebulous quality where you are always waiting on something". This has been exactly the way I felt on my journey! To cut a long story short... I've now signed with a London agent and she is pitching to publishers. Fingers crossed! Look forward to seeing yours in print :-)
    Jane Gray

    ReplyDelete
  14. Marked my calander for September 17th. Can't wait!Paulo - even his name sounds delicious.

    Your husband is a true gem. I married a good guy, but I'm not sure he'd type for me. Fight dragons, yes. Type for me, doubtful.

    ReplyDelete