Saturday, August 06, 2011

Wildcard Weekend: The Accidental Gardener

Nocturne and bestselling author Michele Hauf explains her gardening style and why her characters don't garden.


That's right. I'm not a green thumb by any definition of the word. My garden has plants in it, but none of them are defined as 'flowers'. Too much work, if you ask me. I suspect that is the reason none of my characters will ever be seen gardening.
My theory about gardening is: It must be hardy. If it can survive with little care and little water, it can stay. I forget to water plants, you see. I've tried those glass bulbs you fill with water and stick in the dirt, but I forget about them, too. So my solution?

I love to garden with succulents. They are hardy little plants that don't need a lot of attention or water. They're interesting, too. They have unique leaves and some have flowers. Some look like squat little flowers that were never given color. Others are prickly, such as agave and aloe, and I still haven't learned not to touch their leaves. Ouch! But I get a lot of satisfaction from these fascinating plants, with very little effort. That's the way gardening should be, yes? (It is at my house.)
Only problem is, I live in Minnesota. Not exactly a succulent paradise. Come winter I have to bring in all the plants. And most of them die. You see, some need to go dormant over the winter, with no water, and others do not. I still haven't quite figured out which are the dormant ones and which are not.

But my pride and joy is this little bugger, a euphorbia obesa. Had him for a decade. Hasn't gotten much bigger either. But he's hardy. Which, apparently, is very important in my garden. 

My current release is ASHES OF ANGELS, and you can probably still grab it in stores (but it'll be gone by mid-August). Here's a bit about it:
As a muse, Cassandra Stevens had been warned of the Fallen angel who'd one day come to impregnate her with a nephilim, an evil offspring. But no one could have foreseen that Samandriel—the raven-haired, silver-winged Fallen one—would sweep her off her feet. Against all good sense, Sam stirred her suppressed desires, yet for her own sake she dared not arouse his carnal ones. For Sam had been summoned to earth by a dark vampire lord. And more Fallen were on their way. Despite the dangers, Cassandra needed Sam by her side, for only together could they prevent the apocalypse that had been unleashed…
You can learn more about Michele Hauf's romance with a bite books at her website http://www.michelehauf.com/

1 comment:

  1. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

    ReplyDelete