- PARIS - Since I've never been to Paris proper, the Paris resort has to do. I even rode up to the top of their version of the Eiffel Tower! This is a great way to end a trip, so you can look over the strip and see all the places you've been.
- VENETIAN - I've also yet to make it to Venice, so the gondolas, strolling performers and opera serenades at the Venetian resort keep me dreaming of nights in Venice...
- LEARNING TABLES - Most casinos have tables open for lessons at 11 or noon. The instructor gives the basics of the game and then usually hands you a coupon so you can play too. This is really the only way to figure out games like craps and roulette.
- SLOT MACHINES - I love slot machines the way teenage boys love video games. Probably for the same reason. I see them as cheap entertainment, and since I usually break even on them, it's doubly fun. I like to play machines that have bonus rounds, because those really are like arcade games. Invaders From The Planet Moolah is my can't lose game!
- BUFFETS - As a kid, Vegas meant buffets and pools. As an adult, I think of the buffets differently. Get an all-day pass and snack your way through the day. Vegas is no place to be overly full. This is actually a great money saving tip. Grab a light breakfast, morning snack, quick lunch, sweet afternoon treat, dinner before a show and yummy stuff after. All those little meals add up in restaurants.
- RESTAURANTS - Yes, I was just talking about costs and buffets. Keep food costs down with the buffet pass, so you can splurge on restaurants! FIX @ Bellagio is my favorite, probably for the cucumber martini as much as anything! Wolfgang Pucks @ MGM is amazing. And everyone should eat at Joel Rubuchon once in their life. Plus, Sugar Factory @ Paris will serve you the most amazing breakfast of your life. Red velvet pancakes, anyone?
- SKYBRIDGES - If you can avoid crossing the street in Las Vegas, do it. I promise, you'll never regret snaking through a casino to get to the skybridge. There are no people handing out nudie brochures on the skybridges either.
- CIRQUE DU SOLIEL - There are lots of Cirque shows in Vegas, and they're all great. Mystere is the oldest, Zumanity is the sexiest, KA has fire, O has water...you can see each show a dozen times and never see the same show twice. The staging and costuming are amazing, but the performers are out of this world!
- SHOPPING - The larger casinos have their own mall attached! I love the Miracle Mile @ Planet Hollywood, but there's great shopping everywhere. I found my new favorite thing while shopping in Vegas -- Incoco Dry Nail Enamel Strips French Manicure! It's a sticker made out of nail polish! I can do my nails in the van during soccer practice while the baby naps.
- FREE SHOWS - In addition to the free performers strolling around inside the Venetian and Palazzo, be sure to catch the Volcano @ Mirage, Fountains @ Belagio, Sirens @ Treasure Island, and Lions @ MGM.
- DAIQUIRI BARS - As you stroll Vegas you'll see these shops everywhere. They look like a collection of slushy machines in various adult flavors. You can get your pina colada in a cup, your strawberry daiquiri in mug, or your margarita in a half yard or an entire yard of peach bellini. You can even get them to layer flavors for you. Mudslide and White Russian anyone?
- ADRENALINE - There are lots of rides to get your heart pumping. The NYNY roller coaster, the drop atop Stratosphere...heck, walk beneath the sharks and Mandalay Bay!
- CLUBS - There's nothing like a Las Vegas club...for people watching. I'm not a party animal, but sitting back at a table at any club in Vegas is fascinating. Coyote Ugly is fun because they really do dance on the bar. The Dueling Piano Bars are always a good time. This trip I'm going to try Minus 5 - an actual ice bar!
Thursday, August 04, 2011
Thursday 13 :: Vegas!
The Pink Heart Society editor Jenna Bayley-Burke loves Las Vegas. And since she's currently planning a girls weekend there with some lovely ladies who have never been (gasp) she's ready to share her highlights of the Las Vegas strip!