Tuesday, August 30, 2011

CRAFTY CORNER : Craftastic Blogs

There are mornings where Pink Heart Society editor Jenna Bayley-Burke wakes up and wishes she were crafty. Since she doesn't own a hot glue gun, she makes do with crafty websites that promise it's easy. And then she either tries a few projects, or decides to channel her creativity into writing, because you don't have to clean up afterwards.

I love art and creative projects. I love taking something standard and plain and personalizing it. But I can look at a blank canvas or white dresser and have no idea how to get from ordinary to fabulous. Hence, my habit of surfing for things I might actually be able to make.

Eighteen25 is a favorite blog of mine. Three sisters share their ideas for crafts, parties, and outings with their kiddos. I want to make the circle punch photo collage, and I even have the circle punch, but I need to remember to print the photos in black and white, and get a frame, and maybe a star punch...or would having a single picture in color have a similar effect without having to buy a punch? Hmmm...

If you're short on time, Tater Tots & Jello is a great one-stop since it features projects from other blogs. They did a great round up of back-to-school ideas. Now if only I can remember to put together something before the first day. I'd really like the throw a back-to-school party for the boys and their friends, but by the time I organize it the princess will be in kindergarten...which is actually an idea I should file away.

Sprik Space actually got me started on this craft blog binge. The graphic design super-mom does a collection of the blog finds she'd like to try called Brief Bits. After a few of these, I had my own collection of places to look for crafty inspiration. Plus, she has free printables and postable -- including lunchbox jokes. Perfect for back-to-school time.

I got a lot of great ideas for the diva's bedroom on blogs. Martha Stewart suggested decopaging fabric on furniture. She had this classy thing going on. I decided a quilt-like effect was more small girl. I even got how-to's for hanging the letters of her name!

Who has a favorite place for finding craftastic inspirations?

Jenna's juggling the last few weeks of having the taller kiddos home for the summer, getting the small one ready for preschool, and finishing the road trip book right now. Until it's ready, be sure to check out her latest. Private Scandal is ripe with secrets, sass, and sensational sex. Keep up with Jenna's spin on things on her website & blog

1 comment:

  1. OH I use to have so many ideas, but now with the internet you can just Google your way around to find the perfect craft!

    Can't wait to read this new book! Love Jenna's writing skills! :)

    Thanks for the blog !