Thursday, July 28, 2011

Pink Heart Picks - Married: The Virgin Widow

This month the Pink Heart Book Club pick was Married: The Virgin Widow by Deborah Hale. Did you read?

Married: The Virgin Widow is the first in the Gentlemen of Fortune Series from Deb Hale and Harlequin Historicals. I'd read the last in the series a few months ago - and it was set in Singapore. The series is based on three business partners who set up the Vindicara company (in Singapore). The first 2 books are set in England, but the last in Singapore and what I loved about the last book was how Deb used imagery and word choice to really get the tropical, exotic feel across.

The cool thing is she does the same thing in M:TVW even though it is set in England. For example: "A blaze of tropical heat swept through Ford." "The pitiless Indian sun had darkened his skin to the color of a Barbary pirate's." There are so many ways to describe physical characteristics and arousal, but Deb's are deliberate and well-thought out.

Ford has been gone for 7 years and comes back a very different man from the one who left. He's initially bent on revenge - against Laura, the woman who dumped him all those years ago to marry his cousin - and heir to the title. Of course he discovers he still loves her, especially as the truth of what happened comes out. Laura had her reasons, of course, as did Ford.

One of the things I really liked was how Laura realizes that even though Ford has come back rather...hardened, he has also grown into a man of integrity and honour. Despite inheriting the title, some look down on him because he made his fortune in trade. But not Laura: "It was clear that, unlike Mrs. Crawford and her ilk, he valued personal character above fortune or pedigree."

And...the sex scenes are hot. Sultry and intense...she writes in such a descriptive, visceral way that I'm sucked right into the moment. I loved this book - it's probably my favourite of Deb's that I've ever read. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on her Love Inspired titles - which I'm positive will contain her fabulous emotional depth.

So what's next? In August I have grabbed Kelly Hunter's THE MAVERICK'S GREEK ISLAND MISTRESS. I have heard so many people rave about Kelly's writing but you know this is my first time reading one of her books! I'm really looking forward to it! Join me back here on August 25 to chat about the book and find out what we're reading in September.

You can grab it via amazon. I tried searching for it on eharlequin and couldn't find it - I even looked at character names in case it was under a different title. Hmmm.

1 comment:

  1. Those passages you selected are marvelous. Deborah Hale's writing is so good. I read Bought: The Penniless Lady almost too fast because the writing and story is so enjoyable. Thanks for the review, Donna, and your next pick.

    ReplyDelete