Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Deadline Recipes: Muttachar Eggs (Spiced/curried Eggs)


PHS Editor and Historical Author Michelle Styles gives an unusual but relatively quick recipe --Eggs Muttachar

First I had better confess that I am an adventerous eater. My recent dining experience of Pig's Ear Salad in New York (The Spotted Pig gastro pub Greenwich)  rather confirms this. Donna Alward and Jenna Bayley Burke were horrified -- their dogs eat pig's ears! But that was rather the point and I was curious. I also thought they'd slice the ear up and it would be a bit like bacon. After all the pub is known for its excellent food. the salad duly arrived. It looked like a pig's ear that a dog would eat on top of a salad. Luckily, it was easy to slice up... rather than being tough and crunchy. Deep fried pig's ear tastes like deep fried squid. The salad was very sharp -- lemons and capers and so contrasted nicely. However I shall leave pig's ears to my dogs from now on as I believe they prefer them. I've done it once and don't have to do it again. The salad underneath the pig's ear was gorgeous!
When I first learnt about this recipe through the Two Fat Ladies television programme, I thought yum, can't wait to try it. A friend who watched the same programme thought -- oh dear, not for them. She was rather vocal about it in the toddler group we both attended. I made a mental note not to ask to her to dinner...
 Personally, I really think it works. My husband and children also like it. I have adapted the recipe over the years but it is a quick and filling as well as an unusual way to do eggs.  If you don't try something, you never know.

Eggs Muttchar
1 hot green chile pepper (jalpeno is fine) -- chopped
1 onion chopped (I liketo use red onion but white is fine)
1 ripe mango peeled and chopped
1- 2 chopped tomatoes
3 tablespoons dried coconut milk powder
1 pint of water
A large pinch of curry power, else turmeric, paprika and ground coriander
salt
juice from one lemon
4 fresh eggs (hard boiled if you like but I like to poach them in the liquid)
Method:
In a large frying pan, heat some olive oil and fry the onion and chile pepper until soft. Add mango, tomato and continue to fry for a few more minutes (basically until the mango starts to fall apart). Add the dried coconut milk power and the water. Bring to a boil. Add the spices. Simmer for  5 minutes.
Add the lemon juice.  Either add the hard boiled eggs and allow to heat through or drop the eggs in and allow them to poach.
Serve with rice or alternatively toast. You can sprinkle fresh coridander (cilantro) on top to add a festive touch.
Serves four.

You can use the sauce with chicken or a white fish but I like to use the eggs.


Michelle Styles writes warm, witty and intimate historical romance for Harlequin Historical/Mills and Boon Historical. To Marry A Matchmaker was recently released in the UK and is available both as an ebook and in print. You can learn more about her books on her website www.michellestyles.co.uk.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent Blog. I really want to admire the quality of this post. I like the way of your presenting ideas, views and valuable content

    ReplyDelete