Thursday, June 23, 2011

Whatcha Readin'?

In which Pink Heart Society editor Jenna Bayley-Burke ponders her reading material now that her boys can read over her shoulder.

Quiet time. Every home should have it. Ours is enforced by the nap schedule of a three-year-old diva. No one dares wake the sleeping princess...or the queen with shout "Off with his head!"

Usually, 7 & 9 disappear to a neighbors yard to play. Fine. But sometimes they have to stay in (the weather is crazy this year, we've yet to have a rain-free week). If I head for the office, the boys head for the TV. And...I like to save their TV time for when it is useful to me. Like when I want them out of the kitchen.

So, we've all been grabbing something and reading. 9 loves to read as much as I do, and is working his way through children's classics and the Guardians of Ga'hoole series. Plus his Boys Life magazines.

7 has decided he doesn't like to read. I'm 99% sure this is for show. He reads fine at school, and never misses anything for a sign, billboard, or the back of the cereal box. But read a book? He'd rather complain. I've tried picture books, magazines, graphic novels, mystery, adventure...he's not interested. "I'd rather listen to a book than read it." OK, I get it, he's an auditory learner. He's still not watching TV.

When I scoot off to my office, he'll follow. So, I tend to take a half hour and read alongside them. It's a happy memory for me, because we usually sink onto the same couch. I read whatever is on my mind. I was reading the lifestyle guides The Gabriel Method and The Primal Blueprint...but then 7 asked if he was going to have to eat low carb too. And what was low carb? Would it make my baby belly go away?

Ahem.

I switched to my Nook. All was quiet as 9 dove into Treasure Island, 7 peered into a Pokemon book, and I escaped into Brenda Jackson's Spontaneous. Until I turned the page and 7 says why are you reading about tongues?

Ahem.

I thought I'd be safe with The Fly Lady's book, Sink Reflections, but I thought wrong. Why are you reading about cleaning? You hate cleaning. You're always making me clean stuff.


Oh yeah, sure. But I did take that opportunity to turn his quiet time into cleaning time. You know, since he's always cleaning stuff.

I tried to outsmart Mr. Noseypants by reading through the RWA handouts for next week's conference. There are tons of workshop handouts on the website. It's quiet, it's reading, it's work - we all win. Except they ganged up on me. It seems they too wanted to read on the computer. They wanted to read Pokemon cheats! Their logic? Writing on the computer was work, reading on the computer was reading and if I could use the computer to read it was only fair...

When does school start again?

Any tips on keeping HIS nose out of MY book?


Jenna's busy packing for RWA National Convention in NYC. Tune in next week for special updates from your Pink Heart Society crew. And if you happen to be in NYC, many of the PHS's finest will be autographing books at the Literacy Signing on Tuesday night from 5:30-7:30. Jenna & Donna will also be at the Samhain publisher on Friday from 3-4:30.

1 comment:

  1. Jenna, I don't have any tips for you, but you've given me some great book suggestions for my grandson. :)

    ReplyDelete