Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Wendy S Marcus: The Call

Next stop on the Wendy S Marcus blog tour: PINK HEART SOCIETY!

Hello Pink Heart Society members. Thank you for hosting me on the 9th stop of my blog tour to promote my debut Harlequin Medical Romance, WHEN ONE NIGHT ISN’T ENOUGH, currently available in stores in the UK and at Amazon UK and Mills and Boon. It will be coming to stores and online in Aus/NZ in July 2011 and online in the U.S. in July 2011.

Now for my call story. I started writing back in 2007. WHEN ONE NIGHT ISN’T ENOUGH was my second completed manuscript. In the beginning of 2010, while perusing the Internet – a favorite pastime of mine - I stumbled upon a link for a chat room pitch contest for Harlequin Medical Romance.

I almost didn’t follow it. You see, I didn’t consider myself a medical romance writer. Yes, my hero and heroine were doctor and nurse, but that’s because I’m a nurse. I was only following general wisdom that suggests writers write what they know. And to be honest, I didn’t know much about the medical romance line of Harlequin, and dare I admit? I wasn’t that familiar with Mills and Boon, either.

But never one to pass up an opportunity, I figured what the heck? I’ll enter the contest for practice. We had to send in a two paragraph pitch beforehand. Here’s what I submitted:

After his drug-addicted wife takes off, swinging by the bank to empty his accounts on her way out of town, Dr. Jared Padget is left broke, soon-to-be homeless, and the subject of a DEA - Drug Enforcement Agency- investigation. Shunned by his colleagues, he takes a job at a physician staffing agency, working short-term assignments in Emergency Rooms across New York State. The nomadic life is just what he wants, no one cares about his past, no one cares about him, and all he cares about is his work. Until he meets float nurse Ali Forshay during a three month assignment at the fictional Madrin Memorial Hospital and decides he wants more.

After discovering her boyfriend of six months is engaged to another woman, and becoming the main topic of hospital gossip as a result, Ali vows to never again date a man she works with. But working over fifty hours a week and spending her time off with her gramps is not conducive to meeting a non-medical Mr. Right. In an unprecedented act of girl gone wild, she coordinates a secret getaway to celebrate her twenty-fifth birthday, with Jared. He’s set to move on to his next assignment and has no plans to return to Madrin Falls. It’s perfect right? Except he comes back for her, she winds up pregnant, and the estranged wife he never bothered to mention or divorce, waddles into the ER, pregnant herself.


And surprise, surprise, I was chosen as one of five winners. Only four of us actually showed up to the chat room for the editor pitch. My pitch went well and I received a request for my first three chapters. After a week or two I received an e-mail requesting changes to my first three chapters and telling me if I was willing to make those changes the editor would like to see my complete manuscript.

Six long months of revisions followed, during which I re-wrote my entire manuscript. Twice. There were times I wanted to give up, when I thought if I haven’t gotten it right by now I never will. But with the support of my writing friends and family I kept at it, deciding I’ll work with my editor until she refuses to work with me anymore. I’ll revise until I get a rejection.

Luckily, neither happened. And in early October, 2010 I received ‘The Call’, well two actually. One from my agent then one from my editor. To my surprise there were still more revisions to be done but they were minor.

Since ‘The Call’ my life has been a whirlwind of activity. When it was time to confirm my pen name I learned there was another Wendy Marcus author so I added my middle initial ‘S’ to differentiate the two of us. That required new business cards and a new identity on the web. I now have a website (that I hope you’ll visit) http://WendySMarcus.com. I also ordered bookmarks and pens for promo. I worked with my friend Nas Dean to set up a 27 stop blog tour. I wrote my second book, ONCE A GOOD GIRL, which will be released in the UK in December 2011. And I’m working on my third book.

Whew! A lot going on. All I can say is, after you receive ‘The Call,’ be prepared for a lot of hard work.

Please visit my website to read an excerpt for WHEN ONE LIFE ISN’T ENOUGH. I’d love to know what you think.

Have you ever read a Harlequin Medical Romance? If yes, what did you think? If not, why?

Thanks so much for stopping by to chat. One lucky commenter will win a copy of my UK 2in1 release which includes a complete novel by Janice Lynn.

Visit me on Facebook
Visit me on Twitter
Visit me on Goodreads

26 comments:

  1. Hi All!
    Since I wrote this post my book has gone up for sale on Mills and Boon Aus. Here's the link if you're interested:
    http://www.millsandboon.com.au/product.asp?productid=4371&dest=%2Fcategory%2Easp%3Fbookcategoryid%3D27%26page%3D1

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Wendy! Loved the call story!! and especially the part of creating a new identity!!!

    The pitch really makes me want to read the book asap ;) No wonder it caught the eye of an editor!!

    Congrats on the book release :) And :whew: I might just faint at the thought of a 27-stop blog tour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there, Wendy!
    It is VERY difficult trying to keep up with you on your blog tour, ya know, LOL, but I am trying!
    I have loved medical romances since my Anne Mather/Violet Winspear days. Way back in the seventies, the only careers women had in romances seemed to be as nurses, companions, or nannies, so I read a lot of medicals. Today, medical romances are difficult to find in Canada, although the Internet has made their purchase much easier, thankfully. They are still comforting books to read, and they still offer sweet dreams at night - kind of like Chad Everett used to do for me when he starred as Dr. Joe Gannon on Medical Center way back then!
    Thanks for sharing the love!
    Laney4 (who wishes that Google would accept my name/address again!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ju!
    Thank you for your dedication to my blog tour! It's most appreciated. I think I'm up to 30 stops now. And truth is, if you take things one day at a time you can get through anything. (At least that's what I keep telling myself!)

    Writing different posts/interviews for each blog stop is the tough part. Blogging with people who comment is fun and I love it. So no problems there!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laney4!
    And thank you, too, for visiting me. (Again!) It makes me happy to see my friends!

    Medical romances are wonderful stories. I'm right in the middle of Sarah Morgan's Dare She Date the Dreamy Doc. (Her Rita finalist.) And it is totally Rita worthy! Excellent so far.

    I'm hopeful my book will be up for sale on Amazon U.S. soon. I think it will go up on Amazon Canada at the same time. I'm still learning. Contact me if you have trouble finding it. (My e-mail address is on the contact page of my website.)

    Looking forward to chatting again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ju!
    I should mention, I re-wrote the book since that pitch. While the basic premise remains, the story is different than what I originally pitched. But I think you'll still like it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Wendy ~ I got a surprise! I just clicked on this site to see what was up and here you are with a call story. I just commented on one of your other posts. I know I said I would follow you around but gardening has cut into my time and is also making me very tired. I enjoyed reading your two paragraph pitch. That's a lot of conflict packed into it I will be ordering the book when it is available in NA. Same time for both Canada and the USA which is your publication month. For some reason Medicals cannot be ordered a month ahead of time from the Harlequin bookstore like all the other lines can be. It's 11 Tuesday night and I'm off to bed before I fall asleep in front of the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Wendy,

    What a call story! Thanks for the mention, I'm glad I was of help to you but you did it all by yourself! You wrote these 27 amazing and fresh posts which are just simply fantastic! At every stop we feel we are learning something new from you.

    All the other friends/commenters might agree with me if I say it's a joy following you around!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wendy! I'm starting to feel like a regular groupie following you on your virtual tour, lol. Loved hearing your call story, and I loved your book even more!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kaelee!
    Great to see you...again! I just came from commenting on your post over at Tote Bags and Blogs! Thank you so much for stopping here, too. Especially when you're so tired! I'm still getting used to the idea that medical don't go up for pre-order on Amazon and go up for sale a month early on eharlequin...But don't forget about me...my book will be available in July!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jo's Daughter!
    Janice Lynn is one of my favorite medical romance authors! I'm thrilled to have my debut in a 2in1 book (in the UK) with her. My favorite book of hers is Dr. DiAngelo's Baby Bombshell.

    We aim to put the medical aspects of the story in the background so medical romance appeals to a wide range of readers.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Nas!
    Thanks for all your support! I'm glad you're enjoying my posts. I do work hard on each one. Every day I wait for you to tell me you received my book. I mailed it out weeks ago. Grrrrrr.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Aimee!
    I'm all for having groupies! Especially such fun ones!!! I can't wait to follow you around when you blog about your debut Riva coming in September!

    I'm so happy you enjoyed my book!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Wendy,
    I've also been following you on your blog tour. It's been great! It's amazing that you come up with all these fresh ideas for the blogs. And lucky me has your book - I won it on one of the blogs on your tour :) And I've started it and it's great!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Serena!
    Thanks for the pic on Facebook!!! I'm so happy you received my book and that you're enjoying it!

    I appreciate you following me on my blog tour! It's nice to chat with friends! I hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Here you are! I really am trying to keep up with this tour but I always seem to be a day late for the chance to win! lol

    I'm so excited your book will be released to America soon! Yes I know I can get it sooner, but it's still an exciting thought since it's where I am. :) Buried in revisions and moving keeps me plugged and bogged down, but you can bet I am reading each blog you post. I'm so happy for you Wendy! I just love your call story. And you're in wonderful company with Janice! I have a couple of her books. Would you believe until the Medical Fasttrack initiative in Aug 2010, I had thought there were no more harlequin medicals? I read them as my favorites as a teen but they seemed to disappear. Now...just look at you! Congrats Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lisa!
    Great to see you....especially since I know how busy you are! Hang in there on the revisions. You'll get through them!

    I'm glad you've re-discovered medicals! They are gaining in popularity in the U.S.

    Thanks for stopping by! And you are in plenty of time to make the drawing for my free book. I'll pick a winner tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How awesome that your pitch was chosen like that. It's inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Loopy Librarian!
    Thanks! That pitch may not look like much work, but it took me a loooong time to get it where I wanted it.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the story of how you got the call!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Dee!
    Thank you! And thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi All!
    And the winner of my book is......Kaelee! Congratulations, Kaelee! Please visit my website at http://WendySMarcus.com On the contact page you'll find my e-mail address. Send me an e-mail with your address and I'll send the book out by the end of the week.

    Thanks for visiting me!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulation Kaelee!

    Hi All Friends,

    You may have ticked the (Subscribe by email) and are receiving the comments in your inbox so I wanted to let you all know that Wendy's next stop is on the 10th of June at: http://talliroland.blogspot.com/

    Hope to see you all there!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you so much Wendy. What a great surprise! An email is on the way to you. I'm off to babysit my great niece and nephews for the overnight. This is turning out to be a wonderful day. The sun is shining, I'm going to see the three greats and I won a book. Hope to see you at your nest stop on the 10th.

    Thank you Nas. I do pop in and read your blog once in a while. I enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks Kaelee for your lovely comment! I almost always have a book giveaway going on!

    ReplyDelete