Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Deadline Recipes - Linda Ford

The PHS is pleased to welcome back Love Inspired Historicals author, Linda Ford, with a great versatile recipe, perfect for deadlines!

Thanks so much to The Pink Heart Society for allowing me to visit.

I’ve been trying for months (years) to simplify cooking meals so I don’t dread it every day and also so I'll have more undisturbed time for writing. I’m pleased to say I feel like I’ve made significant progress in that direction.

The biggest/best thing I’ve done is decide at the beginning of the week what I will serve every day.

My list is flexible but for me the worst part of meal preparations is deciding what to make.

One thing on my list of possible meals is soup. Often served with cornmeal muffins, biscuits or fresh whole wheat bread. (Fresh bread. Yum.)

At this site:http://www.simplysoups.com I found the following soup recipe.

VegetableBarleySoupVegetable Barley Soup (slow cooker)

Ingredients -
3 cups Cold Water
1 (14-1/2 ounces) can Diced Tomatoes
1 (10 ounces) package Frozen Mixed Vegetables
1 medium Zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
2 stalks Celery, chopped
2 medium Carrots, chopped
1 medium Onion, chopped
4 ounces Tomato Sauce
1/3 cup Regular Barley
2 Vegetable Bouillon Cubes or 4 teaspoons Instant Chicken Bouillon Granules
1/2 teaspoon Dried Basil, crushed
1/4 teaspoon Dried Oregano, crushed
dash Crushed Red Pepper


1. Add cold water, diced tomatoes, frozen mixed vegetables, sliced zucchini, chopped celery, chopped carrots, chopped onion, tomato sauce, barley, bouillon, dried basil, dried oregano, and crushed red pepper to slow cooker.

2. Cover and cook on LOW for 10 hours.

Made this way it is a great vegetarian choice.

I have made a number of adjustments. No frozen mixed vegetables so I used beans and peas. No zucchini on hand so I used broccoli chopped fine. I added chopped green pepper and a can of mixed beans (kidney, romano, black-eyed peas). If I have unexpected company I will cook rice and serve the soup over rice with a garnish of grated cheese and chopped green onions. I have also added bits of browned sausage meat. Any way you make it, this is a delicious and nourishing soup.

Linda's latest books is Klondike Medicine Woman. Visit her website at www.lindaford.org


  1. Thanks for the recipe, Linda. I need to use my slow cooker more often, and my family will like this.

    I read your book, Klondike Medicine Woman last month and loved it! What opposite characters. Teena is a gem. I loved the way Dr. Jacob learned to accept that her ways had merit, too. That they could work together to help her people and the miners.

    My mother saw Klondike on the cover and asked to read it after me. She and Dad spent a couple of months tooling around Alaska several years ago. She loved the story, too.

  2. Linda, Thanks for the recipe. I will have to give this recipe a try. Its been a while since I read one of your books, so I am going to get Klondike Medicine Woman.

  3. Hi Christy, I'm so glad you liked Klondike Medicine Woman. It was a fun story to write especially the research.


  4. Becky,
    Do be sure and try the soup. It is excellent.