Wednesday, May 18, 2011

WRITER'S WEDNESDAY: Killing Time

Mira Lyn Kelly dabbles in a little murder and infidelity…

Psst! Want to hear a secret?
Early this morning, I knocked a guy off. Yeah, we’re talking a cold blooded killing. Barrel against bone. Blood, gore, and guts everywhere.


I know, you’re shocked. I wouldn’t have thought I had it in me either, but I’m totally two-timing my flirty contemporary Presents Extra WIP.

No, I’m not sorry. It wasn’t an accident. It didn’t just happen. It wasn’t the first time. And…I’ll do it again.

Okay, okay, put the phone down. No speed dialing my editor in London to nark me out necessary. I still put in a solid day on my current project, I just kicked off the creative process with a mental stretch in a different direction to loosen up the neural pathways first. Call it a warm up. A brain break. A bit of somethin’ somethin’ on the side.

Whatever you call it, it’s what works for me when I’ve been thinking a little too hard, for a little too long on the same problematic scene and start to wonder whether I’m coming or going…or stuck in a rut and don’t even know it!

I work a bit on something completely different. Maybe a half hour or so. Fool around with a separate plot, work up a character, or try a funky writing exercise… Basically it gets me writing, but without having to dive immediately back into the same problem. I guess it’s like having a bit of desert before dinner. Just a little treat. And then after, when I come back to the meat on my plate, I’m feeling sharp enough to cut through it.

So there you have one of my killer tricks. Of course I’m always eager to pick up something new, so if you’ve got a trick of your own to share, drop it in the comments. Would love to hear from you!

Mira

www.miralynkelly.com
THE S BEFORE EX - RIVA July '11 (Presents Extra Oct '11)
FRONT PAGE AFFAIR - Available now
WILD FLING OR A WEDDING RING - Available now

2 comments:

  1. I agree 100% with this! If I need to get away from my WIP, or my muse has gone AWAL then I write a short story! On a good day I can write one in a few hours. It's something completely different to kick start the muse. Caroline x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I would love to be able to knock one out in a few hours! Green with envy, lol. I'm such a slow writer :-)

    ReplyDelete