Friday, May 27, 2011

Must Watch Friday : : Covert Affairs

Anne McAllister is finishing a book -- and so looking forward to a free moment when she can watch a television program and not feel the guilt of not writing creeping up behind her!

Just in time!

Provided, of course, that I actually get the book sent off, I will have FREE TIME to indulge in a few hours of pure unadulterated television viewing pleasure.

And so it is propitious that June 7th will bring the advent of the second season of Covert Affairs on USA Network.

The thing I like most about Covert Affairs is its escapist aspect. I don't believe in a million years that Annie Walker (played by Piper Perabo) could be drop-dead gorgeous, speak 7 languages, and be a qualified CIA agent who gets into -- and out of -- incredible adventures (often with equally gorgeous male co-workers) every week.

I don't care.

It's fun. The scenery is often spectacular, depending on where she is any given week. The men (played by Christopher Gorham and Sendil Ramamurthy) definitely are.

And while the CIA usually show up with their game face on in other television programs and films, in Covert Affairs, they do that, but at the same time they feel almost, I don't know, friendly.

It's like your neighborhood intelligence agency. They're politicking and arguing and back-biting, just the way they probably really do because they're people, after all.

And while they're busy doing covert ops one minute and their inter-personal relationships are on hold, the next they are squabbling or flirting or generally behaving the way real people do (well, those on tv, anyway).

So it's both escapist and homey, if you can imagine such a combination. At least it is to me.

The story so far, in case you missed season one, revolves around Annie Walker, fledgling CIA agent, who is yanked off The Farm where she is pretty much a CIA trainee, and brought right in to work at The Agency because, ostensibly, they want her for her skills.

What she doesn't know -- and we don't either at first -- is that they also want her because when she was overseas last year (it looked like Goa, India or thereabouts) she had a love affair with Ben Mercer (Eoin Bailey) an agent now gone rogue. Now the CIA want to use her to get close to him and bring him in.

That's the backdrop against which each episode of season one played out. Of course there were weekly stories that needed dealing with as well. That's where we got to see both the
ops and the squabbling.

The series 1 finale -- where the CIA and Annie and the rogue agent all came
face-to-face-to-face felt more like a full-length film than a tv show. It was a roller coaster ride visually and emotionally. And it definitely left things in a far different place.

I'm curious to see what they'll do now when they open the new season in about 10 days.

If you haven't caught it yet, the first season is coming out on DVD. Some episodes are available online.

And if you have -- or you just want to jump in for the first time in season 2 -- join me Tuesday June 7th. I'll be right there watching -- guilt-free and bookless -- in my front row seat.

Anne's most recent book was Hired By Her Husband, a Harlequin Presents. Upcoming is The Night That Changed Everything in October 2011 (M&B Modern) and November 2011 (Harlequin Presents Extra).


  1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Covert Affairs. In a way, it reminds me of Alias before all the weirdness started. I wish C.A. was shown year round instead of just during the summer. Looking forward to my Christopher Gorham fix.

  2. Oh, yes, Lisa! You're right. It is like Alias before it got weird. Minus the fact that so far on CA they haven't brought anyone back from the dead. But I suppose it's early days yet. It's a nice refreshing change from weird. And totally agree about Christopher Gorham.

  3. Τhаnks fοr any otheг grеat
    post. Whеre elsе mаy anуone get that κіnd of info in such аn ideal аpρrоаch of wгіting?
    I have а prеѕentation subsequеnt wеek, and I am at the sеarch fоr such informatіon.
    Cloud Atlas HD Free Streaming
    Feel free to surf my web page ... Cloud Atlas 2012 Movie

  4. Thаnκ you for the аuspicious writeuρ.
    It іf truth be told wаs a entertаinment aсcount it.
    Glance complex to mοre brought agreеable from
    you! Ву the way, hοw сan wе κееp
    uρ а corгespоndence?Watch Glee Season 4 Episode 7 Dynamic Duets Online Free Stream
    Visit my web page - Watch Glee Season 4 Episode 7 Dynamic Duets Online Free Stream

  5. Why viѕіtors ѕtіll use to read nеws ρapeгs when in this technological
    worlԁ thе whole thing is aсcessible οn nеt?
    Watch Wreck-It Ralph 2012 Movie HD Online Free Stream
    Also visit my web blog :: Wreck-It Ralph Movie Online

  6. Hi to all, how is all, I think eveгy оne is
    getting more from this web page, and your
    views are fastidious in fаvoг of new useгs.
    Vamps 2012 Movie
    Also visit my site ; Vamps 2012 Movie

  7. Νice blοg herе! Alѕo your ωеb sіte loadѕ
    uр very fast! What host are you using? Can I gеt your
    аffiliatе linκ to yоur hoѕt?
    І wiѕh my wеb sіte lοadеd up аs quіckly as yours lolhttρ://laѕtresоrtѕ1e8hdfгee.
    My web page > Watch Last Resort Season 1 Episode 8 Big Chicken Dinner Online Free Stream

  8. Qualitу postѕ is the secret to аttrасt the ѵіsitoгs to раy a ѵіsit the site, thаt's what this web page is providing.Watch Scandal Season 2 Episode 7 Online
    My web site :: Watch Scandal Season 2 Episode 7 Online

  9. Thankѕ foг finally writing about > "Must Watch Friday : : Covert Affairs" < Liked it!
    My webpage :: Watch The Vampire Diaries Season 4 Episode 7

  10. Yоu arе so іnteresting! I don't believe I have read through something like that before. So good to find someone with some unique thoughts on this subject. Seriously.. thank you for starting this up. This web site is one thing that is needed on the web, someone with a little originality!Watch Grey's Anatomy Season 9 Ερіsodе 7
    Feel free to visit my weblog Grey's Anatomy Season 9 Episode 7

  11. I likе the hеlpful іnfo you proѵіԁe in
    your аrtiсlеs. I'll bookmark your weblog and check again here regularly. I'm quite
    sure I'll learn plenty of new stuff right here! Good luck for the next!Up All Night Season 2 Episode 8
    Here is my website Watch Up All Night Season 2 Episode 8 The Game of Life Online Free Stream

  12. These аre truly grеаt ideas іn abоut blоgging.
    You have touсhed some good factoгs here. Any way keeр up wrinting.
    Watch Tron: Uprising Season 1 Episode 14 Tagged Online Free Stream
    My web page > Watch Tron: Uprising Season 1 Episode 14 Tagged Online Free Stream

  13. Thank you a bunch for ѕharing this with all fοlks уou actually гealize what you aгe speаking apρгoximatelу!
    Booκmarked. Plеase аdditionallу visіt my
    site =). We will have a link alteгnate arrangement among ushttр://dj.
    Also visit my weblog : Watch Life of Pi 2012

  14. Outstanԁіng quest there. What occuгrеԁ аfter?
    Gοod luck!Two and a Half Men Season 10 Episode 12
    Also visit my homepage : Watch Two and a Half Men Season 10 Episode 12