Monday, May 30, 2011

Male on Monday -

Paula Graves is back this week with a new member for the Male on Monday crew: Adam Baldwin.

I'm a sucker for a big man.  Tall, broad-shouldered, muscular and imposing--that's my kind of guy.  I think it's one reason I have a soft spot for Betty Neels and her big Dutch heroes.

It's also why Adam Baldwin is one of my favorite actors.

Adam's a big guy, well-built and physically imposing.  He gets cast as a soldier quite often--he has that kind of build, that kind of presense.  One of the few actors named Baldwin who isn't related to any of the others, Adam may have pinged your radar as far back as his role in the 1980s classic My Bodyguard, but the first time he pinged mine was his role in the movie The Patriot.  He had a small but pivotal role as a colonist whose choice of loyalty to the crown over the nascent U.S. led to a terrible decision with tragic consequences.

I knew from that moment he could do drama.  But when I saw him in Independence Day as the hyper-serious (and therefore funny) young Air Force officer at Area 51, I realized he could do comedy as well.  He was just about the only thing on the show Firefly that could drag one's attention away from the consistently adorable Nathan Fillion.  Jayne Cobb was rude, crude, brutal and amoral--and he was also one of the funniest characters on that short-lived show.

So I was thrilled when he was cast as NSA officer and Marine Corps Colonel John Casey on the show Chuck.  Playing the  rough, tough, no-nonsense spy with a soft heart beneath his prickly facade, Adam Baldwin has made Casey into a man of few words but myriad expressions.  He can say more with a well-timed grunt than many actors can with a page of dialogue.

And he never takes himself too seriously--another trait I love in a man.

When I was trying to cast the hero of my June book, Cooper Vengeance, Adam Baldwin came quickly to mind.  J.D. Cooper is a big guy, well-built and taciturn.  He's a man of few words, but the words he does say have meaning.  And despite his tough exterior, he has a vulnerable, broken heart in need of healing.

It's a role I think Adam Baldwin can play very well. 







Paula's latest release is COOPER VENGEANCE. You can find out more about Paula at her website, www.paulagraves.com.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Paula,
    I think I'm going to have to go back and take a second look at The Patriot and some of the other movies you've mentioned. Definitely this needs more research! Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniel Baldwin :) he has some seriously good shoulders. I must go and watch Firefly again. Great post Paula.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paula!
    My husband and I love Adam Baldwin and particularly Jayne on Firefly. I remember listening to the audio commentary on Firefly and Joss Whedon pointed out in a scene where Kaylee (the young female mechanic) was hurt that Jayne was immediately concerned for her. Joss said that he wanted that layer in the story - Jayne being a tough, not so nice guy, but having a hidden soft spot for Kaylee. I thought that was neat especially considering how many times that I'd watched the series and never picked up on it. It's almost . . . romantic? Dare one say that about Jayne? ;-)
    Maybe if the show had run long enough, Jayne could have even evolved into being a hero? Who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was meant to say Adam Baldwin :) Must be those shoulders getting to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think he has to go into my Hero Images Reference file!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the Kaylee/Jayne interaction, Jill! I'm not sure I'd term it as romantic, exactly---but there was a chivalrousness with her that didn't exist with other characters, which was extremely unusual in Jayne.

    Annie, his character in The Patriot made me want to strangle him, but he played the conflict in that character really, really well. It was the first time I'd seen him in any role, and his character stayed with me, even until now.

    Helen, those shoulders are plenty mind-boggling. :)

    Christy, he should, especially if you like big, muscular guys.

    ReplyDelete