Monday, May 16, 2011

MALE ON MONDAY: One... Two... Three

With a new three book mini series out, Harlequin Romance author Susan Meier talks about the inspiration for her three sensational heroes....

My favorite men in the movies

In lots of years of marriage, my husband has never once gasped, pointed at a movie screen and said, “Oh, my God, she’s beautiful.” But I have to admit to dropping my popcorn and gaping at the screen after gasping, “Good God, he’s gorgeous.”

I love a good movie star and I fell totally and completely in love with Jake Gyllenhaal in the movie THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW. He’s a kinda nerdy, kinda shy guy just coming into his own…but he’s also so heart-stoppingly gorgeous that when he risks his own life to save Laura (played by Emmy Rossum), I absolutely sighed with contentment.

But, sadly, when it comes to movies I’m not just a one-woman man. Oh, no. What list of gorgeous leading men would be complete without Mathew McConaughey? He was intense in A TIME TO KILL, silly and wonderful in HOW TO LOSE A GUY IN TEN DAYS, and now THE LINCOLN LAWYER? Just fan me already.

Then there’s the dark horse, Christian Bale. He’s got a range that makes me stutter. He’s been Batman. He’s been bad guys. He was John Connor (the ultimate good guy) in the most recent TERMINATOR movie. He’s got that voice that feels like electricity tiptoeing down your spine. (Shiver.)

What does a writer do when she’s so completely smitten with movie starts? She uses them for her heroes!


In THE BABY PROJECT, Darius Andreas is a sleek New York City businessman. Tall, good looking and sophisticated, but with a heart of gold. I fast forwarded a few years from THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW, the whole way to SOURCE CODE. And voila, Jake Gyllenhaal is Darius.

Nick Andreas from SECOND CHANCE BABY is a southern gentleman. He’s also laid back, but don’t cross him. I give you Mathew McConaughey with dark hair.

And what about Cade Andreas from A BABY ON THE RANCH? He’s an oilman now and a rancher. He’s moody, sullen and so sexy he drips masculinity. [Susan pauses to fan self] You guessed it. He’s Christian Bale.

I had a really good time with this series of books. I love to play make believe, especially about gorgeous guys. But I have a question for you…

Does it help or hinder you enjoyment of a book if I tell you the actor/businessman/artist/singer/real guy I patterned the hero after?

susan

For more about Susan Meier and her books, visit her website at http://www.susanmeier.com/books.html

10 comments:

  1. OK ... you are going to think I really weird but I don't really pay attention to what a hero looks like when I read. I'm more concerned how he acts as a hero.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading this post. No, it doesn't matter to me if you tell me who you pattern the hero after. What I pay attention to when reading is how the characters, dialogue, plot and setting all come together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to Mira for helping me sort out some technical issues with this blog. Esp the pix!

    susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellen, that's a great observation. Because we all know that in real life actions speak louder than words!

    Still, I do love my eye candy! :P

    susan

    PS...you won one of the sets of books on the ehar blog last week...contact me through susanmeier.com and send me your snail mail addy and I will get them out this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good point, Becky. My friends and I are reading 10 of the Rita finalists from various categories and that's what we're discovering.

    It isn't one thing that makes a book a Rita finalist...it's the way everything fits together!

    susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan.... Now I am confused... I sent you an email through your contact button on your website on May 12. Did you not get it???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Susan ~ I like eye candy. Since I don't watch much TV or go to the movies I only see eye candy on posts like this. I don't ever try to put the pictures with the heroes in the book as that would require too much organization. If however I've just read a book and the inspiration for the hero is posted it's a fun thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOPS! Ellen yes, I did! Luckily, I still have the package on my table...not yet mailed. LOL Lucky since I could check on it. Not lucky since you won't get it for days!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you're right Kaelee...we can be influenced! LOL

    susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL Susan
    Thanks for checking even if I have to wait a few days for it.

    ReplyDelete