Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Deadline Recipes: Portobello Mushrooms


You want a deadline recipe? Maybe today isn't the post for you but if you want something low carb and fast then this *might* help... Brigid Coady is outed as completely non-domesticated

I have been dreading writing a post for this day. I am not a craft person. The only time I do anything vaguely like that is at Christmas when I make gingerbread men, cinnamon ornaments and dried orange slices with cloves for the tree (all thanks to Suzanne McMinn). And May is a little early for those sort of craft ideas!

I am also not a baker.

According to my family and every person who has met me, I am the pickiest eater there is. No gluten, no fish, no cheese. And now I am on a low carb diet I have an even smaller cooking repertoire! Most nights I grill a steak or bake a chicken breast or duck breast in the oven. Then I blanch some vegetable for 2 minutes in a wok and BAM. Dinner.

Oh and did I mention that I am single? I never cook for more than one person (well hardly ever) and I eat when and how to please myself. I did mention the whole I'm picky and stuck in a rut stuff?

Recently I have started making baked Portobello mushrooms (low carb and tasty), quick easy and you can add toppings to make them like a pizza!

Ingredients:

Large Portobello mushrooms (as many as you want/can eat)
Olive Oil
Red onion
Mozzarella (ok so I do eat some cheese)
Chilli flakes

Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius
Put the mushrooms on a baking tray.
Slice red onions up and put in the mushrooms cup
Add chilli flakes to taste
Drizzle on oil.
Put in oven for 5 minutes
Take out and add mozzarella until cover the cups
Back in oven for 6-7 minutes (and cheese is melted)
Take out and serve with avocado, tomatoes and spinach.

You could add tomato sauce before the onions and pepperoni with the cheese to make a low carb pizza.

Brigid is stocking up on mushrooms as the revisions kick in

3 comments:

  1. You do realize this looks SERIOUSLY delicious, right?

    I bet it would be good with all manner of roasty-type veggies - peppers, zucchini, etc.

    For outed as non-domestic, I think you came up with a winner, Biddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Portobello Mushrooms. They are the closest thing to eating hamburger for me since I don't eat meat. I will have to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna - You are very kind! They are a new to me in terms of cooking :-)

    Elizabeth - They are lovely and dense mushrooms. As I am now a low carb carnivore I have been told to use them instead of a hamburger bun.

    ReplyDelete