Friday, April 22, 2011

Must Watch Friday: Gearing up for Summer Viewing

PHS editor Donna Alward looks ahead to the summer months and what shows she'll be watching when "regular" seasons end...

I claim I don't watch a lot of TV, and then I end up saying "did you watch this?" over and over again. I guess the truth is, I don't watch a lot of network, regular weekly programming. And I've gone gaga over Netflix, where I can watch entire seasons back to back. For example, this winter I've watched seasons 1-7 of MI5 (Spooks). It's been BLISS. My regular programming is 3 shows a week: Castle, NCIS and NCIS LA. That's it. Every now and then I'll grab an episode of Big Bang Theory (hilarious!) and Hot in Cleveland (Oh Betty White, you slay me!). But it's the three shows that are set up on my DVR.

So what happens in May, when season finales hit? I look at On Demand, get caught up on what's been on or...look forward to those series that are actually IN season during the OFF season.

Here's what I'm looking forward to this summer:

HUNG. Thomas Jane and 30 min episodes. Love it. It makes me laugh. I have to admit Tonya drives me insane, but I keep watching anyway. I've heard it described as "awkward", and "touching and sweet" and I'd agree with that 100%.

TRUE BLOOD. It just keeps getting weirder and weirder. BUT there are things to consider. Like Eric. And Alcide. And how weird it is. It's a blast. God, he is SO rockin' the plaid.

SPARTACUS: GODS OF THE ARENA. We've watched the first episode, but it's been so busy we haven't watched more. It's good - I mean there's no Andy Whitfield or I would have watched it all a couple of times by now. So we're planning on watching the rest of the episodes over the summer.

CALIFORNICATION. We watched the first few epis of this season, and haven't watched the rest. I know we will, but I wasn't dying to see the next episode. Part of it is because Hank's growth arc is like...non existent. He's still pulling the same...ahem....and not learning anything. So four seasons in, I found it a bit same old and boring.

I'm guessing that'll pretty much hold us...and if I run out of that there's always SECRET DIARY OF A CALL GIRL, DEADWOOD, and GAME OF THRONES.

What are you looking forward to watching?

Donna's newest release is HONEYMOON WITH THE RANCHER, out in May but available now at eharlequin and Mills and Boon Australia. In the meantime,  she's planning on losing herself in a few miniseries beginning this month - Upstairs Downstairs and The Kennedy's.

1 comment:

  1. I love pretty well all those shows you mentioned, particularly Hung, Thomas Jane and the kids are so good.

    I'm looking forward to the new season of Treme starting on Sunday, it's post-Katrina New Orleans, with great music and heart.