Wednesday, April 13, 2011


This week Harlequin Nocturne author (and my local chapter mate) Michele Hauf steps into the Author Spotlight to share a little about herself, her writing, her most recent releases… and she’s giving away a signed set of SEDUCING THE VAMPIRE and FOREVER VAMPIRE to one lucky commenter! (*US only)

Michele, wonderful to have you with us today! Tell us a little about your latest story, FALLEN? What inspired it?

It features Cooper, a fallen angel hero on a quest to find his halo (so he can stay on earth as a mortal) and Pyx, the Sinistari demon heroine who has come to earth to slay the angel. It's the second in my Of Angels & Demons series, and I had a great time pairing the opposites of angel and demon. I'm always inspired by opposites.

What are your favorite genres? Least favorites?

I love paranormal romance and urban fantasy, and I like some gentle horror once in a while. Nothing too serial killer-like or gory. Vampires and werewolves are best for horror. I also love a lot of nonfiction, and will read anything about neurology and the brain. I like brains. :-)

When the writing is done, how do you kick back to relax?

Ahhh, well, do I relax? I don't think I do. I always have a few stories going at once, so when I finish one, I just pick up the other I've had going and get back into that. I really do need a 'kick back' ritual. Anyone got a ritual to suggest?

What’s your favorite flavor of romance? (Sweet? Spicy?) Do your tastes vary when it comes to reading versus writing?

It varies. I don't think I like sweet, because I like relationships to depict sex between the characters, but sometimes I'm in the mood for a few kisses and you know they went to have sex behind that closed door, and other times, well, I like to know what's going on behind that closed door. ;-)

What’s something about you that would shock your readers to know?

I recently gave up sugar. A former chocoholic, I no longer need chocolate to survive. Seriously. I can stare down a piece of milk chocolate and that sucker will melt before I even have the desire to touch it. I know. That's just freaking' weird!

What are your thoughts on social networking? Do you get your chatty on…or are you more about necessary updates?

I like the social thing. As a writer, my job consists of sitting before the computer all day. So if I'm right there anyway, why not do the online social thing? I need a little break during the day so it's fun to check into Facebook and Twitter. And I always try to answer all the emails I get, so feel free to email me!

When you write, how many projects do you generally have going at once?

Two or three, usually. And it really depends on my schedule. Sometimes I have to work on more than one book, and other times, if I don't have something due for months, I can be more leisurely and focus on one project. It works for me, and sometimes I really need to step away from the current project because I just can' t come up with anything new, so to pick up another story and dive into it is the best way to reignite my creativity.

How do you manage your ideas for new stories before you’re able to really sit down and work on them?

Dreamwork. Seriously. I start with a hero an heroine I'd like to pair, and then dream about them. If the dream takes off and over a series of nights, I imagine a story for them, then I know it's something I want to write. Then, when I start to write, I'll take a few weeks or a month to just do stream-of-thought writing and get that whole dream story out of my head and onto the page.

What appeals to you most about writing Category? What drew you to your current line?

Nocturne is the only paranormal romance line in category, and I do love me some vampires, so it was an obvious choice. And actually, my editor asked me to be a launch author for the line, knowing that the first book I had ever published, Dark Rapture, had been vampire romance, so it was great to get back to writing paranormal.

What inspires you?

Pictures! I'm very visual. And if I see a pic of a sexy guy online I can weave a story for him. I might be paging through a magazine and something will catch my eye, and off my imagination goes. Also, music. I've alway said that driving is my muse. I get so many ideas, and can work out stories when I'm driving. I make a trip to a local Trader Joes (30 minute drive one way) once a week specifically to feed my muse (and to pick up dinner). :-)

Plot or Pants?

Mostly pants.

What’s the best piece of advice you have to offer to an aspiring author?

Write! Always write. And then write some more.

What has been the biggest obstacle in your writing career?

GEtting over my bad self. :-) Learning that I have no need to compare myself to any other writer, nor to expect what others get or do not get. I just need to focus on my career, and keep myself happy. I works for me!

Michele, thank you so much for joining us today!

Michele Hauf has a stacked release schedule through the first half of ‘11, so keep your eye open for:

FALLEN - March 22nd





FOREVER VAMPIRE hits bookstores on April 19th.

Blurb: Vail the Unwanted is a pureblood vampire. But raised in Faery, he has neither home nor peace, and when his aid is sought in the recovery of a priceless diamond gown, his price is information. Specifically the whereabouts of his accursed father. His goal is revenge, and the supernaturally sexy Lyric, the icy blond vampiress with whom he must work, is a distraction he can't afford.

Outwardly as cold as the diamond dress in which she was kidnapped, Lyric has her own secrets. Desperate to break free from her criminal family, she aligns herself with the brooding Vail. Together they seek justice while each secretly works for freedom and a fresh start. For Lyric that means holding herself apart, even from the smoldering blue-eyed Vail. For Vail, it means a battle to the death for revenge—and for a temptress he can't deny.

"Vampires, shifters, and faeries—oh my! Michele Hauf is a master of them all!" — Kerrelyn Sparks

For more info about Michele's books stop by her website:

To view a book trailer for FOREVER VAMPIRE:




extra site:


  1. I love Michele Hauf's books! Hot and Sweet! Thanks for a great interview!


  2. I agree with your thoughts on social networking. I mean, if a person is going to be by the computer anyway, may as well interact. And I love when authors respond back on Facebook/Twitter because I think its great when authors/readers are able to connect :)

    Thanks for the great interview!

    JaidisShaw at yahoo dot com

  3. I can't wait to read these books. Michelle is awesome.

  4. Hey everyone! I'll be stopping in throughout the day, so if you have any questions, leave them in the comments!

  5. Michele....ur books are awesome!! Keep up creating great stories ;). I can't wait to read forever vampire!!!

    Katiewalthall AT ymail DOT com

  6. I love Michele's books and I can't wait to read Vail's story. So exciting =) I love how she has made a world of its own (Beautiful Creatures) Thanks for the post.

  7. Great interview. I am definitely going to be buying these on payday :)

  8. N-No chocolate?! :O :O I would've said "Impossible!" and given up on the first day. ;)

    Thanks for the lovely interview!

  9. Like your style! Well except the no chocolate thing pretty sure I could do that, I probably should though! Would love the set of books but unfortunely I'm Canadian!
    So good luck everyone!


  10. Just to aleve all your fears on the chocolate front... I do still eat sugarfree chocolate. I know, that doesn't sound very appetizing, but it's awesome. I promise. :-)

  11. I can't imagine voluntarily giving up chocolate. Wow! Thanks for the interview and giveaway!!

    Hollybwright at comcast dot net

  12. I am a sucker for Michele Hauf's books, my Kindle is filled with tons of her books. To be honest I had never read a book with "spicy" romance until I read "From The Dark." At first I was caught by surprise since I wasn't expecting the "spiciness," but I quickly developed a fixation with the books, that is how my collection began to take off. I am extremely surprise that she does not eat sugar, mmm so how do you take you coffee? Hehe, just wondering. I am extremely obsessed with candy, I know, I know, I do not know how to control the urges, haha.

    Continue the AWESOME work!



  13. I loved Kiss Me Deadly and The Devil to Pay. Your story world is very interesting. Do you come up with your world before you sit down to write the story or does the world evolve as you write? I look forward to reading some of your upcoming releases!

  14. Araceli, no coffee, but I have become a recent tea addict. Love black tea with cream and sugar (Truvia). Have three or four cups a day. I think that's good for me. Not sure where to draw the line of drinking good stuff, and overdoing it. :-)

    Melissa, my worlds evolves from book to book. I have the basics that I know will always remain, but as I learn more about the breeds (vampires, weres, etc.) I enhance them and add to them. I have a big binder that I keep all my notes on characters. Without that I'd be lost!

  15. Mmm black tea, well that does sound good. I've only just tried green tea with cream and little sugar, and that alone was just amazing. I should try some black tea, any tea that you might recommend? Well the good stuff cannot be complained about, well because it is GOOD! hehe. We cannot completely cut out all the GOOD out.

  16. New Authors (to me) Make me wanna squeel!!!! These sound good!

    I've never tried black tea but my daughter LOVES tea. We might have to try that. She loves Chai (sp?) tea.

    We also just bought a bunch of Truvia. I do love my Splenda we'll

    I'm excited to read more about your books. Thank you for a great interview

    blazesandbubbles AT gmail DOT com

  17. What a great interview! I just saw an awesome review for Forever Vampire the other day and but it on my TBR list on Goodreads!

  18. I wonder where I saw the post? I follow so many blogs I tend to forget where I see reviews and posts of upcoming books =O)

  19. Great post. But no chocolate?! Oh, that is just inhuman! I could never do that. I have to indulge once in a while.

    LadyVampire2u AT gmail DOT com

  20. I have not read any of the series, but it has all the elements I love in a book.

    Seriously no chocolate? Do you feel better since stopping sugar?

    Jennifer K.


  21. And the winner is....


    Please send your snailmail address to