Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Writer's Wednesday - Revise Revise Revise

How do you make your story shine? Brigid Coady is neck deep in revisions. 



I'm drowning. In a nice way I am drowning in the possibilities of my book. With my first draft I wrote and didn't worry about cliches, I didn't worry about sentence flow. I didn't worry about consistency or repetition. All I cared about was getting the story down. I wanted to make sure I got to the satisfying ending (I wasn't sure they were going to make it so need to rush to the end).

But now I am going back and making this a book. I am weighing words, crafting sentences, checking whether I have shown and not told and some days it feels like I'm drowning. If I shade this scene one way what does it do to the rest of the book?

In a masochistic way it is quite good fun. Immersing myself in the world I created and looking up after two hours to discover I have revised two paragraphs, cut two hundred words and add three hundred. My non-writing friends think I'm mad.

"It is a beautiful day! Come for a walk!"
"Come for lunch!"

But I refuse to do it. I would much rather sit at my desk and weigh the pros and cons of 'possessed' versus 'hijacked' (don't ask).


Revising is where the story is really told. It is where you use all your skill to learn what to hold back and what to reveal to keep your readers reading. You might write a scene that explains everything that is going on in the hero and heroine's heads during the first draft but when you revise you pick and choose what needs to be revealed and what doesn't.


One day (very soon) I will have revised my way out the other side and it will be the same story but it will be a better book.

Brigid will be emerging from this round of revisions very very soon. 

1 comment:

  1. Gotta say I love the revision stage.... Comparatively speaking. It's getting the first draft written that nearly kills me every time.

    ReplyDelete