Monday, March 28, 2011

Male on Monday: There's Something about a Man in Breeches!

Caitlin Crews joins us for a delicious Male on Monday post  - Men in Breeches (and this is a topic we fully endorse!)

I just love British adaptations of my favorite books. More specifically—and more to the point—I love the men usually chosen to represent the heroes I cut my teeth on, curled up in my childhood bedroom thrilling to Jane Austen, Emily Bronte, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Charlotte Bronte, etc.

I actually fell off my couch (true story) when I saw Colin Firth as Darcy in the famous BBC miniseries (which I have owned, thus far, in no less than three different version: my own recorded from the tv tapes, the VHS set, and the DVDs), emerging from the water to set hearts pounding on both sides of the Atlantic:

I was also well pleased with Matthew Macfadyen’s rendition of the same character for the big screen. He helpfully got a bit damp as well, to better aid the comparison:

Too foofy for you? Prefer some mystery and good old-fashioned sleuthing? There’s always Sherlock Holmes. You can have Robert Downey Jr.’s brawn-with-brains (and a bromance with Jude Law) version.

Or, if you prefer it, Benedict Cumberbatch’s “I’m not a psychopath, I’m a high-functioning sociopath” recent BBC TV version.

I, personally, prefer not to choose.

But I’ll tell you something. All of these men, lovely as they are, and despite the hours of entertainment they’ve given me, pale in comparison to the latest addition to this very elite club: the amazing Michael Fassbender in the new movie version of Jane Eyre.




He will make you consider Mr. Rochester in a whole new light. I promise!

Who is your favorite man in breeches? There are, happily, so many!

Caitlin Crews’s latest novel is Katrakis’s Sweet Prize, out right this very minute in North America, which features no breeches whatsoever—but she thinks you’ll like her hero anyway. She certainly does.


  1. Ahh Caitlin, what an inspiring post... Hadn't heard of that new Jane Eyre.

    My fav chap in breeches would be a tie between Col as Darcy and Laurence Olivier as Heathcliff in the 1930s version of Wuthering Heights, boy that guy knew how to smoulder. Not to mention all those guys in my imagination after devouring the historical romances of Kathleen E Woodiwiss in my teens.

  2. Well, Colin Firth has always been my favourite. But now that you've introduced me to Michael Fassbender I might have to reconsider.

    Caitlin, I absolutely loved your last book Katrakis's Sweet Prize.

  3. Caitlin, Michael Fassbender was awesome. Rochester has always been one of my favorite heroes. I could never get into Heathcliff. I too also adored both Matthew MacFadyen and Colin Firth in Pride & Prejudice. Alan Rickman and Greg Wise were perfectly dishy in Sense & Sensibility and who can forget Richard Armitage in North and South.

  4. Heidi-- oh, my. You must see it! It's achingly delicious! And I miss Kathleen Woodiwiss novels. It might be time for a big re-read!

    Anne--I'm so glad we don't have to choose. But you should definitely check out Michael Fassbender as Mr. Rochester. He's a revelation. And thank you so much! I'm so glad you liked the book!

    Elizabeth--Wasn't he fantastic? I was riveted! I liked Heathcliff--but then, I've always liked obsessive, stalkery fictional heroes--like my beloved Angel from BTVS. And I can see that I'm going to have to watch North and South. The Richard Armitage devotion is hard to overlook!