Monday, March 14, 2011

Male on Monday: Sexy Sidekicks

PHS Editor Donna Alward goes beyond the leading man to some sexy sidekicks that get her pulse racing just a bit...

Everyone loves a leading man. They dominate the screen, have the best dialogue, get the girl, save the day. But we all know they can't do it alone. Witty dialogue needs company. Someone needs to cause trouble, be backup, and be, well, supportive (there's a reason it's called a supporting actor). And sometimes sidekick hotness gets overlooked.

I don't watch a lot of tv, but there are a few characters that I LOVE to watch and they're pretty fine as well.

First up: Kevin Ryan (Seamus Dever) and Javier Esposito (Jon Huertas) from CASTLE.

I love these two. They always have a funny line. They're loyal. They have quirks. They complement each other. Maybe they're not the dynamic duo of Castle and Beckett, but they can hold their own as detectives - like how they saved Castle and Beckett last week.  I love watching them.



Next is Nate from NCIS LA - played by Peter Cambor. When the show debuted, Nate was the resident psychologist who did a lot of the "brain" work for the team - things like debriefing agents, monitoring interrogations, profiling. Nate was a very tall nerd. And yet...I always really liked him. There was something about the eyes that did it. Then he went away. But lately he's been back for a few episodes and it is a very different Nate that we're seeing. When he was on the inside of prison working as a psychologist, he showed some agenting skills we hadn't seen before.  When he asked Eric to shut down the cameras and he neutralized a bad guy using only his hands, I was in heaven. He showed up in the follow up espisode too, as an effective resource in the Middle East. Go Nate! Brains are sexy.


Speaking of sexy brains: I've also been catching up on MI5 courtesy of Netflix and the library (Known as SPOOKS in the UK). Yes, there's Matthew McFadyen, and Rupert Penry-Jones (not to mention Richard Armitage in seasons to come) but I cried like a baby over Danny and I'm quite taken with his replacement, Zaf....




And let's not forget The Tudors. I know I'm not alone here. Henry VIII? Who cares about Henry when you have Charles Brandon? And I'm not the only one who has noticed - after all Henry Cavill has been cast as the next SUPERMAN and a fine choice I must say! Totally swoonworthy.

So who are a few of your favourite sidekicks? Do tell!







Donna's current release is HONEYMOON WITH THE RANCHER, out now in the UK from Mills and Boon Cherish, and due to hit Australian and US/Canada shelves in May. You can check out an excerpt and more on Donna's site.

5 comments:

  1. I love Tony, McGee, Abby, Ziva and Ducky on NCIS.
    Tony is worthy of drool. McGee warms the heart. Abby always wins a smile. Ziva will watch your back.

    Love your choices on Castle. Thanks for my first look at the new Superman. Fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The original NCIS is still my fave, but the LA crew is fun. I always marvel at LL Cool J and his muscles. Gah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post (lovin' all the eye candy!)...and I couldn't agree more about Ryan and Esposito from Castle. They are hilarious and so fun to watch how they play off each other!
    (Add how hot is Jon Huertas...yum!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie - last week Nathan Fillion tweeted a picture of him with Jon and something about how in Puerto Rico it's called "Esposito...y Castillo." It made me laugh. I think Seamus and Jon work as partners because their characters have differences that complement each other. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmm Henry Cavill, I am rather looking forward to the next superman movie now. My hubby is a superhero geek so will want to see it and there won't be much grumbling from me :)

    I have always liked Adam Baldwin as Jayne in firefly / serenity and also as Casey in Chuck.

    ReplyDelete