Tuesday, March 29, 2011

DEADLINE RECIPES: Lynn Raye Harris’s Easy (and spicy!) Jambalaya

Harlequin Presents Author Lynn Raye Harris joins PHS with a recipe that's sure to please...

I love New Orleans. The Old World vibe, the sultry quality of the city and its inhabitants, the exotic sense of other that I feel when I’m there. And then there’s the food. You can’t forget the food.


My dad grew up in Cajun country and we still have family there. I can’t claim it as my native land or anything, but I love the food and probably have at least ten cookbooks dedicated solely to Cajun and Creole cuisine.


One of the things I love most about this food is how hearty it is!


You can put on a big pot of red beans and let them simmer all day, or you can slave over making a roux to flavor your gumbo. Or, if you’re like me and on a killer deadline, you can make a one-pot jambalaya that will last you at least a couple of days. My husband and I can get 3 or 4 days out of this meal! (If you have a big family, you may want to double it. Clearly, you won’t get as much out of it as two people do.)


I’ve made jambalaya the hard way (peeling tomatoes) and the easy way (using canned tomatoes). I like the easy way better. Basically, jambalaya is a mix of rice, tomatoes, seasonings, and whatever meat you have handy. I’ve made it with chicken, ham, sausage, and even shrimp. This is the basic version with sausage, but you could toss in another meat if you want variety!


To make it really easy, you could substitute pre-chopped onions. But use fresh garlic, not the jarred variety. I use a garlic press, which takes no time at all.


Easy Jambalaya


1/4 cup olive oil (this is probably not exact, as I eyeball it)


1 large chopped onion


2 to 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped


1 cup chopped celery (optional)


1 28 oz can chopped tomatoes with juice


(1 can spicy Rotel tomatoes are optional)


1 lb Andouille sausage, hot (can substitute smoked sausage)


2 cups long grain rice


2 to 3 cans beef broth


1/2 cup chopped green onions


Chopped parsley (to taste)


Cajun seasoning (Zatarains, Slap ya Mama, etc)


Red pepper flakes


(Best to use a Dutch oven because the rice will expand. Unless you have a huge skillet.) ;)


Saute onion, garlic, and celery on medium-high in olive oil until translucent. Add chopped sausage, cook for a few minutes to heat through. Add 2 cups rice. Stir frequently. You only want to let the rice brown just a tiny bit. Add tomatoes with juice. (If you’ve chosen to use the Rotel, add those too.) If you’ve used hot Cajun sausage, no need for seasoning or pepper flakes. If you’ve used smoked sausage, you’ll want to season to taste. Start slowly, because you can add more as you add the beef broth. Add enough beef broth to cover everything. Turn heat down to simmer, place lid on pot and let rice steam. You’ll have to check from time to time to see if you need more broth (don’t let the rice burn!). Stir and add broth and seasonings as necessary. Once the rice is tender and the broth cooked down, turn off the heat and add the chopped green onions and parsley. Stir. Serve with crusty French bread and wine or beer!


You’ll notice I don’t use salt. You can, but I don’t think you’ll need it when using canned tomatoes. They already have enough sodium to lift the blood pressure. *g*


I hope you enjoy! Drop by my website and let me know what you think if you give this recipe a try. I love new recipes, so if you have one to share, please do so in comments! I’ll give away a set of my Romance Novel Trading cards, plus some other goodies, to three lucky commenters today. (You can see what they look like here.)



Lynn Raye Harris writes glamorous, sexy romance for Harlequin Presents and Mills & Boon Modern. Her current release, THE DEVIL’S HEART, is set in Argentina and features a priceless diamond, a determined heroine, and a delicious hero. And it’s available in North America right now! RT Book Reviews awarded this story 4 Stars, saying, “Lots of conflict, hot love scenes, and a satisfying ending make this an entertaining read!”


You can learn more about Lynn and her books at http://www.lynnrayeharris.com/.



You can also follow Lynn on Twitter @LynnRayeHarris or visit her author page on Facebook, http://www.facebook.com/AuthorLynnRayeHarris

11 comments:

  1. I'm so happy, would you believe it they sell Slap Ya Mama Cajun seasoning at the brilliant butcher at the top of my road in North London!!

    Am gonna try this recipe tonight Lynn as I'm a huge NO fan myself. But just to clarify:

    green onions = spring onions

    beef broth = beef stock??

    red pepper flakes = dried chilli flakes

    dutch oven = casserole pot

    hot sausage = chorizo??

    And I'll wing it with the cup measurements (or maybe just use a small cup!)

    Here goes. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My recipes tend to be very easy - meatballs in a bought sauce, roast chicken with boiled potatoes...

    An easy thing I make for myself sometimes is s fried potato omlette. Boil a couple of potatoes, or use ones from an earlier meal. Cut in cubes and fry in a little oil or butter till they start to brown. Beat two eggs, pour in and wait until the mixture is thickening, then turn over and bron the other side. Toss some chopped ham or onion in if you have any.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's right, Heidi! The chorizo is actually a bit different than andouille, so it might make a different flavor -- but why not? The whole point is that jambalaya is a slapped together meal of rice, meat, and seasonings. You could also use kielbasa or plain smoked sausage. Then you turn it up with the Slap Ya Mama. (Wow, can't believe they have that seasoning there!) Good luck, and I look forward to hearing what you think!

    Hi, Pageturner! Nothing wrong with easy recipes, right? That omelet sounds good, especially when you get to use leftover potatoes! I appreciate fussy food, but I don't like to make it. Give me easy and hearty any day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, Lynn. This sounds delicious...and easy. I'm totally going to try it. It's been ages since I made jambalaya. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chorizo - be careful that you two are talking about the same chorizo. Mexican Chorizo and Spanish Chorizo are two different sausages (both would be good, but I imagine Spanish would suit better).

    Andouille is also different in France than in New Orleans . . .

    Heidi, when I don't have Andouille on hand or I want to be healthier, I get lower-fat, lower-sodium smoked (cured) sausage.

    Lynn, can you come over and cook for us this week? I'm too busy to make my gumbo or jambalaya . . . okay, not really, but I am avoiding the kitchen. Think we'll have cajun catfish tonight.

    Penn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Laurie! I hope you like it! And I'll see you next week. ;)

    Hi, Penn! You are so correct about the Chorizo. I completely agree about Spanish versus Mexican. Hopefully Heidi will check in and tell us how the recipe turned out!

    I hear you about avoiding the kitchen! You don't want me cooking this week. I'm depriving myself in a last ditch attempt to look svelte and gorgeous at the RT convention next week. ;) Catfish sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Lynn I have always meant to get around to making Jambalaya, and your recipe sounds perfect... not to mention seriously yummy.

    Am writing out a shopping list as we speak and then hitting the shops!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds easy and delicious! I have never attempted to make Jambalaya before, but your recipe gives me the courage to try. Thanks for sharing. Speaking of delicious, the more I hear about The Devil's Heart (and Marcos!) the more I want to read it, like right now!! Hopefully, I can pick up a copy this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Erin! I hope you will try the recipe! It's pretty easy really, though at first it'll require more attention than it will later when you get used to doing it. I hope you enjoy TDH! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delicious!!! This is a brilliant recipe that I know I will be a real joy to eat. I am planning to make one for a lot of people. Thanks for sharing this. I'll definitely make this at home.

    ReplyDelete