Tuesday, March 15, 2011

DEADLINE RECIPES: Caro's Favorite Fish and Rice

Jackie Braun joins us with a Deadline Recipe sure to please...

Fish? Really? I know that’s what you’re thinking. Last week, Amanda McCabe was sharing her recipe for English Toffee. And here I come with flounder.

Well, writers cannot live on sweets alone. I know. I’ve tried. (As me sometime about the week I passed on mint chocolate chip ice cream. Disaster.) So, here is a healthy, light and super easy recipe to make for a special occasion, a midweek meal or just whenever. It’s that versatile.

Even my six-year-old will eat this. Will loves it, in fact. That’s him in the picture with the finished product. He likes to be my sous chef.

His 10-year-old brother won’t touch it, but Daniel has taken finicky to a whole new level. He doesn’t like the ketchup in the school cafeteria because he claims it tastes like it was made with cherry tomatoes. Yes, he really said that.

Oh, and in case you’re wondering about the recipe’s name, it refers to the heroine in my March Harlequin Romance: “The Daddy Diaries.” (Yeah, I just renamed the recipe in honor of the occasion.) Usually, I name recipes after myself. It’s become a running joke in my marriage. As in, which “Jackie Surprise” are we having tonight?” I can admit, I’ve had as many flops as successes over the years. This, is one of the successes.

Okay, here’s what you’ll need:
Four to six filets, depending on size. Flounder and Talapia work best since they are both mild fish and cut thin. If using frozen, thaw completely and pat dry. Add salt and pepper.
2 cans of diced tomatoes, undrained
1 yellow onion, chopped, about a cup worth
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon capers
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
kosher salt and cracked pepper to taste
3 dashes of hot sauce or to taste
quarter cup chopped and pitted calamato olives
1 cup uncooked white rice
First thing, in a saucepan, cook rice per directions.
Next, in a frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat and add onions and dried basil Cook onions until tender.

Add tomatoes, dried oregano, capers, salt and hot sauce. Bring back to a boil and simmer for five minutes.

Add fish filets to top of mixture and cover with calamato olives. Cover pan and cook over low heat until fish is fork tender. (about 8 minutes depending on thickness of filets.)

Pour mixture over bed of rice and garnish with fresh chopped basil or fresh parsley.

Add salt and pepper to taste, but be mindful of salt in capers and olives.

This amount serves about six, depending on the number of filets you use.

Also, this dish reheats well, so leftovers aren’t a problem. In fact, I think it tastes even better the second day.

Hope you enjoy Caro’s Favorite Fish and Rice.

Be sure to check out Caro’s story in “The Daddy Diaries,” out now from Harlequin Romance.

Happy reading!

2 comments:

  1. In a word, yum! This sounds delicious. Love fish and rice so am always keen to get new recipes for both. Will be taking a trip to my fishmongers today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this recipe. Have to run it by my husband who is the cookbook reader and recipe finder at our house.

    ReplyDelete