Friday, March 25, 2011

AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT: Maisey Yates

Presents author Maisey Yates is in the spotlight this month, sharing a bit about herself, her writing, and her latest release, AN ACCICENTAL BIRTHRIGHT...

Maisey, wonderful having you today. Can you tell us a little about your latest story? What inspired it?

My April release An Accidental Birthright opens with Alison, the heroine, telling Maximo, the hero that she’s pregnant with his baby. A shock to him, since he’s never met her before in his life! I think I was drawn to the IVF clinic mix-up angle because, number one, at the time I was working on this book there were a couple of mix-up horror stories in the news. Number two, because I was drawn to the idea of two total strangers who didn’t even have a night of passion in common, coming together, interrupting their live, to do what they believe is best for their child.

Who is the most inspirational figure in your life?

You’ve heard the saying, “it takes a village to raise a child?” My mom always says it takes a village to take care of me. And it’s true! There are so many people in my life who inspire me, help me keep my sanity…remind me to eat. (I lie, they remind me to sleep, no one has to remind me to eat) So really, everyone who puts up with me. They inspire me.

When the writing is done, how do you kick back to relax?

I’m not the world’s best relaxer. I have three little kids and most of my time is devoted to keeping up with their general shenanigans. And of course making sure my husband doesn’t feel neglected! But I love to read, and I’m becoming a very serious Buffy the Vampire Slayer addict, so in rare, true downtime, those are my indulgences.

What’s your favorite flavor of romance? (Sweet? Spicy?) Do your tastes vary when it comes to reading versus writing?
It’s all about the story for me as a reader. If the story is good, the heat level can vary. Same with writing. I really enjoy writing love scenes, but it’s important to me that they advance the story, and reveal character and advance the developing relationship.

What’s the most adventurous thing you’ve ever done?
Being a mom is the greatest adventure of all time. It’s different every day, and it keeps me on my toes! Thank God for a very involved husband, who happens to be an amazing father!

Was there a defining moment when you decided to pursue writing as a career?
There was. I hadn’t been reading romance for very long when I discovered Presents and from there I knew. It was like finding the one and suddenly, after years of just dabbling, I found focus. The Instant Seduction contest spurred me to start on a Presents, and after that didn’t pan out I decided to submit through traditional channels.

When you write, how many projects do you generally have going at once?
I only work on one project at a time with any seriousness, but I might fiddle with new ideas while I’m waiting for my editor’s word on something.

What appeals to you most about writing Category? What drew you to your current line?
I think I love how focused Category is on the hero and heroine. There isn’t room for a lot of external elements. Internal conflict has to drive the story and I find I really enjoy that.

What’s the best piece of advice you have to offer to an aspiring author?
Write. And submit. And more than that: be open to learning. It’s a rare manuscript that can’t be improved with revisions, so I think being open to editorial feedback is huge.

How would you describe what writing is to you? (Habit, hobby, outlet, obsession, sanity savor…?)
Writing is…obsession. My sanity and my insanity. I’ve always done it, I think I always will. It’s definitely a passion for me.
Maisey, thank you so much for joining us today!
For more about Maisey, check out her website at www.maiseyyates.com. She's also on Facebook and Twitter!

An IVF clinic mix-up means eternally single Alison Whitman is now carrying the child - no, the royal heir - of Maximo Rossi, Prince of Turan! Now he'll take her for his wife!

Maximo had given up on the hope of fatherhood a long time ago - until this surprise second chance. Now, the dynamic ruler will seize the opportunity with both hands. However, tradition is high on the prince's agenda, and he'll never stand for an heir born out of wedlock.

Alison is about to find out that royal marriage is a command, not a choice!

7 comments:

  1. Obsession . . . Oh yes, it's def an obsession!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maisey ~ I enjoyed your short story on your web site. It's a great thing for us readers that you authors are obsessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Insanity and sanity! That is the perfect way to describe it. It's absurd to ignore the dust bunnies and serve my family takeout to write for hours on end. But I'd be really crazy without the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kaelee, thank you! Glad someone read that...lol. ;) Yep, I find myself at loose ends when I'm not working on a book.

    Julia, where would the voices in our heads go without our writing!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Maisey,

    Thanks for sharing the aspiring writer tip, it sounds spot on!

    All the best with your new release. AN Accidential Birthright sounds an intriguing story.

    ReplyDelete