Thursday, February 03, 2011


Brigid Coady talks about her love of Regency romances

I have inherited many things from my mother... some that I would rather I hadn't, but those are the genes you are dealt. Luckily one of the best things that I have inherited is my love of Regency romances. I was brought up on Georgette Heyer and I revisit her whenever I need comfort or cheering up. At a recent RNA meeting we discussed which of her books were our favourite. What is wonderful is the way that there is a story that appeals to everyone.

At the moment I am revisiting 'Frederica' yet again. There is something wonderful about the managing Frederica and the love she has for her family. The Baluchistan hound and of course the romantic scene which is ruined by the sudden mention of 'pork restorative jelly'.

This love of Georgette Heyer led on to other Regency authors and I have a LARGE collection of M&B Historicals which will never be let go. Nicola Cornick and Louise Allen being my particular favourites. Their strong heroines echo the strong heroines that Georgette Heyer wrote well over fifty years ago. And as we all know a strong heroine needs a strong and sexy hero. I'm still in love with Louise's hero Mr Eden Hurst *swoon*

I am looking forward to all the great Regency romances due out in 2011... and while I'm waiting I think when I've finished 'Frederica', I will move on to 'Devil's Cub'.

What is your favourite Georgette Heyer book? And if you haven't read her you must! Which more recent Regency romances have you enjoyed?

Brigid is revising her YA novel 'The Stone Voice' and has agents and publishers interested. She is also starting work on her next YA book, tentatively called 'The Silver Assassin'.


  1. I have all the Georgette Heyer Regency romances and some of her mysteries. I have no favorite story. It's been so long since I have read one that I will dig one out of the box in my basement soon. That will probably mean I'll read a few of them. I used to read nothing but Regencies but I haven't read many lately. I also like Marion Chesney, Elizabeth Mansfield and Sylvia Thorpe. Within the past year or so I have started reading a few Harlequin Historical books and Emily May is an author I really enjoy.

  2. Georgette Heyer was my first Regency author and still my favorite. I read The Grand Sophy and absolutely fell in love with both the author and her main character. In fact, it was Heyer's wonderful stories and characters that inspired me to want to write my own recently published (although actually written 35 years ago) Regency Romance novel, A Very Merry Chase.

  3. There are so many regency romances I have enjoyed over the years including the books of Georgette Heyer. I loved Catherine Coulter's regencies as well as Elizabeth Mansfield and Marion Chesney. Although not strictly Regency, Julia Quinn and Eloisa James are wonderful as well as Amanda McCabe's.

  4. Thank you for the kind words, Brigid! I'm an enormous Heyer fan - The Grand Sophy is my favourite.