Monday, February 28, 2011

MALE ON MONDAY: Clive Owen

Jillian Burns joins Male On Monday with a look at international hunk Clive Owen…


I don’t mean to diss American Males, but it seems all my favorite Hotties lately have accents. There’s something about the British (Daniel Craig), Scots (Gerard Butler), Welsh (Christian Bale) and Australian (Russell Crow/Hugh Jackman/Eric Bana) inflection that sends my heart racing. Of course, all these men are totally hot just standing there not speaking at all… The accent just puts a little icing on the cake.




Recently, my drooling has been over British actor Clive Owen. He’s the inspiration for my hero Max, the cranky Alaskan bush pilot, in my new Blaze, Primal Calling. (cover)

The first time I saw Clive was in a movie called Gosford Park, in which Clive has a lovely kissing scene. Since then he’s played the romantic King Arthur, the dashing pirate, Sir Walter Raleigh, and an obsessed doctor in Beyond Borders.




Although most of his movies were Hollywood blockbusters, such as The International, with Julia Roberts, Clive has also starred in several low key, almost obscure films with unusual storylines and not always sympathetic characters.




Born in Coventry, England, Clive has been called the next great “Ruffian” actor from England. Askmen.com said of him, “Coming from squalid surroundings, the boy had to stand up for himself early on, especially when it came to chasing his acting aspirations. Ironically, it was the gruff guys that Clive Owen was born to play.”


And this, “-a man with sharp threads, a steely confident gaze and rugged good looks, Clive is testosterone on tap with rough hands and a firm grip. He's the tall, dark stranger who all women want.”




I couldn’t have said it better myself. Yum.

As I do with any current male obsession, I IMDB’d him and found the list of his movies I hadn’t seen yet, then set about renting them. My favorite so far, besides Children of God (not an HEA, but what a wonderful example of a reluctant hero who gives his all for RIGHT. Hard to resist, that. But one film that did have an HEA was a quirky little British romance called Greenfingers. This movie shows Clive’s softer side.




But enough of the intellectual jabber. Let’s get to the important stuff, shall we? Ahh, those light green eyes, or are they blue? They seem to change depending his what color he’s wearing. I love that. And, oh, those shoulders, that dark-stubbled jaw and dimpled chin. And how about those abs! Most men either look good with a beard and look awful without it, or vice versa, but Clive looks just as sexy with or without facial hair. He makes scruffy sexy, and cranky mysterious.




Ok, I’ve gushed on long enough. Even though Clive is British, he is the inspiration for my gruff Half Inupiat hero. But that’s okay. Eric Bana was the inspiration for my first Blaze hero and Gerard Butler the next. So, I really do have a thing for foreign men.




I’m giving away a copy of Primal Calling or my Oct 2010 Blaze, Seduce and Rescue to one commenter that can tell me what man inspires her. Famous or not.




Thank you to all the Pink Heart ladies for inviting me to be a guest today. Always fun, always a pleasure,




Jillian




Jillian Burns lives in Texas with her husband of twenty-two years and their three active kids. She likes to think her emotional nature—sometimes referred to as moodiness by those closest to her—has found the perfect outlet in writing stories filled with passion and romance. She spent her youth with her nose in a book, immersed in the worlds of Jane Eyre and Elizabeth Bennett, and believes romance novels have the power to change lives with their message of eternal love and hope. Her newest Harlequin Blaze, PRIMAL CALLING, will be in stores everywhere March 1st and she will have 2 more Blazes out in 2011. For more information and excerpts you can visit her website www.jillianburns.com









15 comments:

  1. He was terrific in The Golden Age! I would have run away with him myself.

    Hypothetically speaking, of course. *cough*

    I know what you mean about the foreign talent, though. I saw a slideshow of the new actors chosen to play superhero parts in the movies, and did a double take when I saw the Aussie they'd lined up to play Thor. WHOA.

    I was going to see Thor anyway, because I love me some Kenneth Branagh (who's directing), but I am so definitely seeing it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your newest Blaze sounds like a blast Jillian (and uber sexy).. My inspiration (and they are legion, so I'll have to narrow it down a bit) for my latest book is the fella in Katy Perry's Teenage Dreams video. But I'm a definite sucker for accents too, Pierce Brosnan and his Irish brogue being very enticing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw 'The King's Speech' and thought it was very inspiring - the King was a very brave man to cope with a stammer like that, when public speaking was really taking off.

    pageturner345@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, a woman after my own heart. I love me some Clive Owen, and have seen most of his films, even the really crappy ones that he did with Monica Belucci and Jennifer Aniston. There's something so sexy about him. I don't know if it's because he looks like he could make love to you while simultaneously taking down the bad guy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't watch many movies. The man who inspires me is from the Outlander series, Jamie Fraser.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOh, Elizabeth! I just saw the THOR preview while at the movies yesterday! You are SO right. He is GORGEOUS! I didn't know Brannagh directed. Have you seen his new series on PBS , Wallender? I've watched them all. Kind of dark, but GREAT murder mysteries and he is amazing in them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Heidi,
    Hmm, fresh meat--er...men to ogle. Now I need to go back and look at Katie's video again.
    And omg, Pierce! How could I have forgotten him? I used to drool over him every week in Remington Steele!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pageturner,
    I LOVED The King's Speech, and I LOVE me some Colin Firth, too. Ahem, Mr Darcy will always be Firth to me. so sexy and brooding. But I was THRILLED when he won best actor last night for King's Speech. SO deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Elizabeth Kerri,
    Oh, yes, if you haven't already seen it, try to find and rent Greenfingers.
    Helen Mirren is always excellent, and the story itself has a romantic subplot and an HEA and is based on a true story, AND Clive is just TOO cute in it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah yes, Remington Steele - have loved Pierce since then. Recently, it has been Gerald Butler. I think I have seen The Ugly Truth about 100 times. Another one that caught my heart when he stepped out of the ambulance on Grey's is Kevin McKidd. I really wish, the show would let his natural voice/accent be heard.
    SonyaM

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chey,
    I'll have to go rent that Outlander series now and take a look at Mr. Jaime. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't go to movies but oddly enough I watch the Oscars every year. I like to see who is who and what they are wearing. I don't watch much TV either so I'm limited to one or two programs. My sister got me hooked on Dancing With the Stars in the third season so if a male has appeared on the program I am quite familiar with him. Gilles Marini is very inspirational and now he can dance as well ~ sigh ~ I just would like one dance with him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on the new release, Jillian. I love Eric Bana. I admire Bill Gates for his genius and for his philanthropy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My Dad. I didn't realize at the time, but now that I'm older he taught me to stand up for myself and not take crap from anyone!

    Marcie

    ReplyDelete
  15. AND THE WINNER IS...
    Elizabeth Kerri Mahon!!!

    ELIZABETH, Can you please email me at julietburns@gmail.com and give me your snail mail address so I can send you the book. Oh! And please let me know which book you want.
    Seduce and Rescue, or Primal Calling.
    CONGRATS, ELIZABETH!!

    ReplyDelete