Wednesday, January 12, 2011


Karen Whiddon joins us for Writer's Wednesday to talk about living in 2011…

Another year has begun. Everywhere I look, I see writer's resolutions, plans, and forecasts. But this year I truly hope will be my year of simply.... living.

In 2011 I plan to take the plunge and quit the day job so I can write full time. This is terrifying to me in so many ways, not the least of which will be the loss of a steady paycheck. Yes, writing does pay money, but there's not a regular paycheck every two weeks like I'm used to. I like to shop and have been gradually working on down-scaling that hobby.

I cannot wait to experience the first time in my life (other than vacations) where I won't be ruled by a clock. Oh, don't get me wrong - I have to have a routine of sorts if I want to get anything done. But there are so many things I want to do and don't have time for now. Reading for one thing. My TBR stack - both in book form and on the Kindle - is daunting and every month brings new releases that I badly want to read. And not just fiction - fitness books and birding books and dog books and creativity books - the list goes on and on.

But still, with all this creativity waiting to explode within me, I remain cautiously terrified. Self-doubt, self-awareness (I love being lazy a little too much, LOL!) threaten to mar my rosy outlook.

To help myself (and maybe you), I've come up with a few guidelines. Now you may have heard some of these before, but I think they bear repeating.

Write every day. Goes without saying. Even if it's a blog or a long email or a diary entry. Write something.

Experience life. Watch some good movies, televisions shows. Listen to music and sign along. Talk to people, smile, and don't be afraid to compliment others. Taste delicious food. Read poetry, view (or make) art.

Leading to - keep your creative well filled. For me, mine can get pretty darn empty. Often all it takes to fill it is a great romantic song, or a moment in a movie where the hero grabs the heroine for a hard, heated kiss, and I'm good to go. I also like to read a good book, especially out of my genre (like YA), and lose myself in another author's world.

Keep your body healthy. Over the last year and a half, I've discovered the joy (yes, joy!) or resistance and weight training. I've had a personal trainer on and off for eighteen months and to my surprise, I mostly LOVE IT! (Mostly because there are still those days where I'm inherently lazy!) I've lost weight and am gradually building muscle and tightening and firming up my body. I'm also reading up on nutrition and supplements and hope to soon be entering the most healthy period of my life. You might have to start slow - maybe walk an extra five minutes a day, then ten, then twenty, but push yourself up out of that desk chair and start. You'll thank yourself for it later.

This year I'll celebrate the publication of my 27th book - my 17th book with Harlequin (wow!) This book is LONE WOLF, a Harlequin Nocturne that's out now.

LONE WOLF BLURB - Disillusioned from his time serving as a Protector under a corrupt Council, Anton Beck has vowed to have nothing to do with anything Pack. He is looking forward to a few months of peace and quiet deep in the Big Bend Mountains of Texas. That quiet is shattered when he's abducted and held captive with none other than his ex-lover-turned-nemesis, Vampire Huntress Marika. But that's not all. She bore his miracle child. And that child has been taken…. It becomes clear that an ancient Vampire priestess is behind the kidnapping, but why? To exploit the child's rare gifts? In a race against time, two former lovers must overcome bitterness and broken hearts in order to save their daughter—and save themselves in the process.

In other news, I have a Harlequin Romantic Suspense schedule for June and another Nocturne for January 2012. And I'm working on yet another Nocturne (a Pack story) that I'm guessing will be out in 2013 (Yikes!) Here's to a happy and productive 2011!

Karen Whiddon
Coltons Christmas Baby - Silhouette Romantic Suspense - Dec. 2010
Lone Wolf - Harlequin Nocturne - January 2011
The CEO's Surprise Baby - Harlequin Romantic Suspense - June 2011
The Wolf Whisperer - January 2012

Karen Whiddon spun fanciful tales for her younger brothers as early as the age of eleven. Growing up in the Catskill Mountains of New York, then the Rocky Mountains of Colorado, she found enough magic in the rugged peaks to keep her imagination fueled for years.

Now making her home in North Texas, she shares her life with her hero-like husband and three doting dogs. She has published five short contemporaries for Kensington Books Precious Gems and five long paranormals for Leisure Lovespell . Currently she writes for Silhouette Romantic Suspense and Harlequin Nocturne.

You can email Karen at or write her at P.O. Box 820807, Ft. Worth, TX 76182.

No comments:

Post a Comment